Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Frankenstrad project

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shreddocaster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:24 am    Post subject: My Frankenstrad project Reply with quote

Here's my first violin project, I've already made some pieces and repairs out of some goofy woods (hence "Frankenstrad") and this is my first attempt at making a replacement neck.

[/img]

some prog pics of the neck

Mat Roop

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a few finishing strokes... you could be on your way to finding your pride and joy! If you are going to the lengths you seem to be... check the graduations of the plates and other dimensions... Get them all as right as possible and you will likely end up with a "keeper" and a valuable experience!
Good luck... Mat
John Cadd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Frankenstrad Reply with quote

There`s a lot of heavy metal tuners on show.Oh of course --You must be American.Am I stereotyping?The inset "guitar style scroll --makes me wonder--Is he American?The gloopy neck glue looks like Araldite?There is a guitar site where they quote a Titebond representative saying the glue strength holding a guitar bridge is 265 times stronger than it needs to be.
But here`s the important bit .Animal glue is stronger and more manageable than any synthetic glue made today.Well maybe the "manageable"might be exagerating.
John Cadd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Frankenstrad Reply with quote

There was a famous carver once called Grinling Gibbon[No seriously]
One tip I picked up about him was the tools he carved with were all chosen to fit the exact curve of the wood,so a scroll uses a series of narrower curves which gives a quicker and more satisfying woodwork experience.
I went through all the gouge shapes in the tool catalogue and made a set to fit all the shapes needed.Then most handles were removed and shorter handles made to match the way I held the scroll.
On the taipiece your end adjuster is showing it`s suspenders a bit too much.You can wind them in a lot closer.The sound will be muffled by being restricted that close to the bridge.Strings these days stay in tune pretty well without a ton of metal attachments.[Y`all][Bit of friendly banter there ,sorry bout that.]
John Cadd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Frankenstrad Reply with quote

Looking at the first piccy I sensed something out of proportion OR out of position.I can see the soundpost which looks as if it`s the wrong side of the bridge.Maybe the bridge is down too low.For any new players always check your vibrating string length as it can drift out of position and you might not realise why you are out of tune.[And then end up with a ton of tuners.][Y`all ].
John Cadd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Frankenstrad Reply with quote

Just had to have another look at your scroll.It`s got bags of personality.The bridge goes just between the inside nicks in the soundholes.Best thing is your scroll is not too fussy.Some people overdo all the curly bits. Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: