Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some Help Identifying a Violin, Please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johanne

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Some Help Identifying a Violin, Please Reply with quote

Hello, I purchased the above violin as a gift for my girlfriend because I had never seen one like it and thought that she would enjoy looking at it as well as playing it. I myself know little about violins, so forgive me, please.

It is clear that the violin is not currently playable, and will need some or maybe considerable repair before it is ready to play. What I am wondering is if such work is warranted given the quality of the piece, i.e., will the tone be suitable for someone with a discerning ear. So, I am very interested in learning about the origin, quality and value of the violin. I realize that may be difficult over the internet, but my hope is that someone here will be able to help. Thanks in advance.
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johanne... Take my thoughts with a grain of salt as I am not an appraiser... I have seen many violins like that ... and they were typical factory decorated violins. Not great sounding nor of great value. They are Ok as student violins ... some better than others.
All the best!.. Mat
Johanne

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mat. I've had a local luthier suggest that the violin is late 19th c German, but suggested as well that it is more of a show piece that may have just an adequate tone once restored. He also suggested a restored value of around $700.

Does any of this compute?
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your luthier is right on the mark.
Good luck... and BTW.. I think every seroius violinist or luthier should have one of those violins... If it is a decent sounding one then they are great for house parties. ....and they certainly evoke converstaion along with the ooh's and ahh's!
Cheers... & Merry Christmas!
brindafella

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Similar, but different... Reply with quote

Johanne,

The violin I mentioned in my forum post at http://www.violins.ca/forums/viewtopic.php?t=659 has similar but less ornate figuring and inlay on the back, and very similar two-tone inlay around the edges. Yours is in MUCH better condition than mine.

Is there a maker's name and date in the violin? Look through the "f holes" and see whether there is a paper tag or some writing on the wood. My similar violin has what appears to be an ink wash with quite large letters making out the name of what I think is the maker.

Best wishes,
Peter
Johanne

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, I've looked for identifying marks without any luck.
CNILE

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one nearly identical, with a flower inlay on the fingerboard.
I have been looking for info on it for a couple of years. I had it overhauled by a luthier 2 years ago. It sounds terrific, killer jazz tone. I don't play very well, but everybody that plays it trys to buy it off of me.
wish I knew who made it. I posted it on violinist.com, and someone said it was from Luby, around 1890-1910.
CNILE

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one nearly identical, with a flower inlay on the fingerboard...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: