Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Russell

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: questions Reply with quote

I have a few questions for anyone who would like to answer, why strait grain spruce for the belly ? has anyone ever used white or yellow pine ?or maybe fir with some wild grain in the top ?Why use the traditional methed of varnish why not spray lacqor or something else for a finish?Lac is used on high end acoustic guitars and they sound great why not a violin?I personally am not into making a clone I want my violins to be original and not a copy of what someone else made, strad had his ideas I got mine, anybody wanna .......... me yet lol thanks for looking Russ
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep...all those things (and more) have been done. You are certainly free to follow your heart. But the reason examples of those things aren't around to see (much) is because they simply don't work as well.

One thing you could do, to cut down your experimentation time, is to buy a kit, and try making several different tops for it. The pine will probably sound the closest to the spruce, then the fir, then other things...just guessing. The ratio of density to stiffness (as I understand it) is the issue.

Varnish is another matter. I will let someone better qualified respond on that.
pmccombs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: questions Reply with quote

Russell wrote:
I have a few questions for anyone who would like to answer, why strait grain spruce for the belly ? has anyone ever used white or yellow pine ?or maybe fir with some wild grain in the top ?Why use the traditional methed of varnish why not spray lacqor or something else for a finish?Lac is used on high end acoustic guitars and they sound great why not a violin?I personally am not into making a clone I want my violins to be original and not a copy of what someone else made, strad had his ideas I got mine, anybody wanna .......... me yet lol thanks for looking Russ

I saw a violin over on the fiddle hangout that used a hard maple top. The owner claimed it sounded ok after being warmed up for a bit. Spruce supposedly has the best acoustic characteristics and has long been used for soundboards.

Well, my latest violin is varnished with a nitrocellulose lacquer. That's common on guitars like you say, but not violins. But, it works and looks good (and sounds fine). I suspect cheaper, factory violins are done this way. The most valuable fiddles use a nice oil varnish made by the violin maker himself. Spirit varnish is popular too (could lacquer be considered a Spirit varnish? It dissolves in alcohol...) but I personally find spirit varnish super hard to apply. I like oil best, though it takes forever to cure sometimes, unless you have a good UV source, I guess. But I digress.

Now, I have to say when it comes to violins, I suppose every vagary has been attempted! I like to introduce an occasional corruption here and there myself. Everybody goes back to the old methods, though. Well, we use newer tools these days.
Russell

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read a book a few years ago and they talked about wood called Deal and the book said pine and deal was the same thing , this was a violin making book I got from the local library a real old book at that , don't remember the name however They advocated French polishing as the final finish for a violin , a long process I might add .seems to me it would take awhile for an oil finish to cure as a lac finish would cure very quickly, I might be all wet here but I like to know why this or that is the law so to speak.The scroll hum ya seen one ya seen them all ? I myself like a carved scroll maybe a lion or a face one violin I made has a horse head on it or I should say almost horse head lol Would a hollow neck improve sound? questions question lol thanks for looking . Russell
ctviolin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell wrote:
lol Would a hollow neck improve sound? questions question lol thanks for looking . Russell

I would say NO, not really. I will say, that I have run into some hollowed out necks on older violins, but the tone was not improved at all. They reacted much like any other violin.

Personally, I prefer a solid neck - thinned properly.
ctviolin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: questions Reply with quote

Russell wrote:
I have a few questions for anyone who would like to answer, why strait grain spruce for the belly?
Russ

The best response, for the expected (or, hoped for) tone.
(not to mention strength/thickness.)

But like Chet says - anyone is free to try anything. Sometimes, an alternative (wood for example) works fine.

But realize that tradition has a legitimate reason for being there also, it isn't really unnecessary tradition or habitual practice.
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know whether it is correct, but I remember hearing some time ago that the word "pine" had been used in a generic sense in many of the early books, and that, in fact, spruce was the wood really being used.

We are pretty specific nowadays about a lot of things, and now people bicker over which specific species of spruce, and the exact place it originated from, etc.. The problem is, they are correct--it DOES matter. Not all woods respond the same.

It won't hurt anything for you to make a fiddle out of pine and cherry, for instance. But you will invest just as much work that way as it you had used maple and spruce...and if it doesn't sound good, you will not know whether it was because you did something wrong in making it, or used the wrong materials. Once you have successfully made violins that sound the way you want, when you change the recipe, so to speak, you will know why it sounds different. Just a thought.

I'm quite sure you could make a pine and cherry (black walnut, whatever) violin, with a horse's head and get a lot of pleasure in the learning process.

Last edited by Chet Bishop on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Michael Darnton

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I can play this game.

Here are three things I don't like about my car:
1/ It can get flat tires
2/ It runs on expensive gas
3/ It looks boring

So, I have three solutions:
1/ Make the tires from solid iron = no flats
2/ Fill the tank with water = cheaper than gas
3/ Paint the thing like a circus tent = not boring.

So, what are the specific things that you don't like about Strads (or any normal violin, for that matter, but since you mentioned Stradivari, let's use him) that you think should be improved, and how would what you want to do improve those things?

Remember that people don't buy violins for the cool factor, they buy them to play, so these need to be things that will result in a better playing experience, not a worse one.

If we're just talking cosmetics and Violin Shaped Objects that no one wants to play, then of course that's a different discussion.
pmccombs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Darnton wrote:

If we're just talking cosmetics and Violin Shaped Objects that no one wants to play, then of course that's a different discussion.

That sounds like an interesting discussion.

I bet some of my work crosses into VSO territory. What would you say are the bare minimum requirements for an instrument to be legitimate as a violin?

I've seen, for instance, pictures of really old french violins with elaborate relief carvings all over the back. Some Steiners and other violins use an ornament other than a scroll for the head. There are the fancy Maggini double-purflings and different cuts of wood and joints. Some of those violins probably sound great, others not so much.

I'm sure there's a quirkiness factor in some cases where the buyer doesn't intend to play the instrument at all; indeed it seems that there is a whole economy of violins and that some find themselves becoming very collectible whether they will be played or not.

On the other hand, some work, in spite of being quite extreme, languishes in obscurity and seems to exude a quality of cheapness and error. It just seems wrong. What makes the difference?
Russell

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't say I don't like a strad violin and didn't say a strad could be improved , im asking questions as to why use this and not that , ive never seen a strad in real life and probly never will . Ive built a lot of pedal steel guitars through the years and before I attempted my first I researched and found out everything I could before I started and by asking a lot of questions I felt that was important it saved me a lot of time and money as well as grief, that's why im asking questions.Now back to the violin ,maybe I should ask what makes it sound good? and why? whats the difference between a strad and other violins built by the old masters? Whats the difference between a strad that a modernday person might built and the real thing ?
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be futile to find common ground in this sort of discussion if the desired end or objectives are different.

As Michael mentioned, the desired end for a violin is to be played (with quality), and that's really what most of
the members in the forum (some for many years) have been looking for.

There's nothing wrong with making a violin for the looks only. It's like building a house, making it pretty on the
outside, but missing the insulation, plumbing, electrical circuits,...etc. It cannot be inhabited, but people would
look at it.

...and it's ok to ask a lot of questions, but some like the ones you (Russel) are asking can't be answered in just
one post.

In regards to building the violin differently, you might want to look at this recent thread. It's a good summary
for those who are considering to build a violin for playability:

http://www.violins.ca/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1585
Michael Darnton

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmccombs wrote:
What would you say are the bare minimum requirements for an instrument to be legitimate as a violin?

I've seen, for instance, pictures of really old french violins with elaborate relief carvings all over the back. . .

I think most people in the business would say that prices reflect players' perception of tonal quality. You can get away with an awful lot if your violins sound good, and get away with nothing at all if they don't.
Michael Darnton

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell, as Lemuel said, what you've asked is a gigantic question. Violin making has a 500-year tradition, with all sorts of experiments tangled up in that. Violin sound is pretty much defined by what the old guys did, and we all try to do that, with varying degrees of success.

In addition to that, every single aspect has been worked on and perfected over literally centuries, until standards have been evolved that really do represent what seems to work the best. So when you burst in with what you think are new ideas. . . well, most of that was sorted out a long time ago. The violin is the only thing I can think of that's so very closely defined and doesn't leave a whole lot of room for new ideas.
Russell

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your replys, I learned a lesson here , not all cars are red are they.Ive seen a few violins posted on here and I must say they are beautiful top notch workmanship , if you will please, stand by . Very Happy Russell
ctviolin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Darnton wrote:
Russell, as Lemuel said, what you've asked is a gigantic question. Violin making has a 500-year tradition, with all sorts of experiments tangled up in that. Violin sound is pretty much defined by what the old guys did, and we all try to do that, with varying degrees of success.

In addition to that, every single aspect has been worked on and perfected over literally centuries, until standards have been evolved that really do represent what seems to work the best. So when you burst in with what you think are new ideas. . . well, most of that was sorted out a long time ago. The violin is the only thing I can think of that's so very closely defined and doesn't leave a whole lot of room for new ideas.

Which brings forth the question; Why violins?

I would answer - Why not? Is there anything else around, that is remotely like this in the field of hand made objects, in the present day?

Perhaps.

Perhaps some sculpture, perhaps exquisitely made jewlery - but then again, with we're talking all form, and not really exquisite functionality.

Other musical instruments? Perhaps, and then, perhaps not.

So, it's a road some people are forced (albeit by choice) to follow down - who knows exactly why? Other than, it's an interesting choice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: