Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I stop crossing strings when playing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: How do I stop crossing strings when playing? Reply with quote

This is prob the most frustrating thing when I play atm.

I feel so clumsy and it just frustrates me. Sometimes nearly every single note I will cross strings and get angry so have to just stop and do something else.

How can I stop playing the other string by accident?

Also I find irish fiddle music the MOST frustrating to play atm Sad cos it only exacerbates my clumsiness due to the call for extreme dexterity and speed so I think I'm gonna go back to slower tunes for now.

For anyone more experienced would you say fiddle stuff is actually harder than classical in general- I know there's complex classical as well ofc but just in general? or just that I'm not used to it? I know the actual notes are easy it's just they have to be played at extreme speeds and I noticed that if you play it slow it doesn't even sound like a tune anymore for those pieces- so there doesn't seem to be much room for gradually ramping it up.
Benedict White

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not played any fiddle stuff so can't comment however have you looked at the cut of your bridge?

If it has a shallow curve it may be cut more for fiddle than violin music.
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't talking about specifically for fiddling just in general.
Benedict White

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a fiddle bridge has a shallow curve, a violin a more pronounced one.

In general I have found that I play two strings at once with a more fiddle cut bridge than violin cut one. (So I recut the bridge to suit)

We would need to see a picture of the bridge to tell.
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't understand why you are advising to reconstruct the whole violin rather than offering different bowing techniques which would seem to be the most logical 1st point of analysis.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ode,

To settle any concerns about the curvature of the bridge:

1. Take a straightedge and place it over, and touch simultaneously the D and A strings.

2. Measure the space of the vertical distance (estimate by eye) between the straightedge over the E string. It should be about 4mm (Mathematically, you would obtain the same result if you held the straightedge touching the A and E strings and measure the space between the straightedge and the D string).

3. Measure the space of the vertical distance between the straightedge over the G string. It should be about 3mm (Mathematically, you would obtain the same result if you held the straightedge touching the G and D strings and measure the space between the straightedge and the A string).

Usually the problem with unintended string crossings, or playing more than two strings at a time when playing the next note is because you are originating your bow movement using the upper arm. Bow strokes should originate at the wrist with the lower arm following.

Try this simple exercise:

Play about 5 or 6 notes slowly in succession on any single string. Try to keep your upper arm still. Each note will sound short for this exercise.

1. For an up stroke, flex your wrist (in the direction towards the fingerboard). Now continue to bow upwards a small distance with your lower arm.

2. For a down stroke, flex your wrist downwards towards the floor followed by your lower arm.

3. Continue slowly between steps 1. and 2. above until you get use to the habit, and before you move on to faster speed. The wrist should be as relaxed and pliable at all times.

Done correctly, the unintended string crossings will stop.
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok I'll work on that, thanks.
Benedict White

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking about the bridge, specifically the way it is cut varies. The difference between a violin and fiddle is mostly who is playing it and what they are playing, but also the curve on the bridge is shallow compared to that on a violin making it easier to play more notes at once, something you are trying to avoid.

As Lemuel suggests, check the curvature of the bridge.
kurtdaniel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure that the bridge isn't too flat. And the curve should be a section of a circle, meaning only one string might be too low. I learned this from my violin lessons..

Last edited by kurtdaniel on Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:58 am; edited 1 time in total
SBritton

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ode to Tragedy wrote:
I really don't understand why you are advising to reconstruct the whole violin rather than offering different bowing techniques which would seem to be the most logical 1st point of analysis.

I play the fiddle, my bridge has a flatter top. The curve on that little wooden piece holding the strings up is not as pronounced. It is an easy matter to replace the bridge if this is the case. If this is not the case then it is most likely your technique and you need more practice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: