Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with shelac

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack H.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Problems with shelac Reply with quote

i have some new shelac that I purchased about a year ago. i went to make some varnish for touch up, just shelac with a bit of elemy, and it has been sitting in a jar for 3 days and it is just a bunch of soft shelac pieces that have absorbed some alcohol, but has not entirely melted to become shelac. even a hot water bath has done nothing. what is going on here????????
FiddleDoug

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of alcohol? If your alcohol is the wrong kind, or has absorbed too much water, it could cause the problems.

www.wallindependent.com
Michael Darnton

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of shellac, also? Bleached varieties of shellac don't last too long: moisture in the air affects the dry shellac and turns it bad.
Michael N

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course Michael is right. The refined grades have a limited life although I usually get around 3 years from purchase, much depends on how long it sat on a shelf at the suppliers. When it's bad it sort of half dissolves, with a gelatinous mass at the bottom of the jar.
My seedlac, which was purchased over 15 years ago, is still fine. I also have some button lac that seems OK after around 6 years.
I think one of the US suppliers (shellac.net? perhaps someone else) date stamps their stuff.
Jack H.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. It is bleached shellac, and that is exactly what appears to have happened. Strange though, hasn't happened to me before with this stuff. Learn something new every day.
violinarius

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with shelac Reply with quote

Jack H. wrote:
i have some new shelac that I purchased about a year ago. i went to make some varnish for touch up, just shelac with a bit of elemy, and it has been sitting in a jar for 3 days and it is just a bunch of soft shelac pieces that have absorbed some alcohol, but has not entirely melted to become shelac. even a hot water bath has done nothing. what is going on here????????

You might find this interesting.
Shellac Shelf Life -The Followup

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com//Merchant/merchant.mvc?Session_ID=3f3b8bcd3959bd625960d660f86850bf&Screen=NEXT&StoreCode=toolstore&nextpage=/extra/blogpage.html&BlogID=363&BG=1

It seems that Oxygen is the culprit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: