Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another adult beginner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
velvetmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:02 am    Post subject: Another adult beginner Reply with quote

Hi everyone
thank you for reading this message.

I intend to learn the violin. My goal is to play to a very good standard grade 8 or above (listening to the beautiful music playede by Lucia Micarelli) has certainly propelled me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL51Rv1Lmr4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGECiLJo2LU

I already play the piano( grade 8 plus) and wondered how easy/difficult it would be to make a good connection with the violin?

If anyone else has gone through this process i would be interested in hearing your experiences.

Many many thanks
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Another adult beginner Reply with quote

velvetmonkey wrote:
...I already play the piano( grade 8 plus) and wondered how easy/difficult it would be to make a good connection with the violin?

If anyone else has gone through this process i would be interested in hearing your experiences...

First of all, welcome to the forum.

It is good you have some piano,which is used by many musicians to learn the language of music and music theory. There is also a certain level of ear training as well.

Starting with violin will require you to learn new balances, particularly in the violin and bow hold (which forms the foundation of violin playing). Getting a proper violin and bow hold from the very start is really important. I cannot emphasize this enough.

Then you'll have to learn where those notes fall the fingerboard. You'll be dealing with issues of intonation, since there are no frets on the violin.

I encourage you to share your notes with another forum member "Ode to Tragedy" who is a recent new member and is also learning to play the violin.

Two other members have helped out, "AntonPolezhayev" who is a professional violinist in New York and "Benedict White" who has helped quite a bit when I am not able to promptly answer posts.

I wish you best of success.
velvetmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Another adult beginner Reply with quote

Hi Lemuel

thank you for replying and for your advice really appresciated
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Another adult beginner Reply with quote

I forgot to mention.

Here is a post for beginners in establishing a proper violin left hand position. I have used this successfully with my students. Scroll down the page a bit until you see the photos.

http://www.violins.ca/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1271&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30
kurtdaniel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im glad youre inspired by Lucia Micarelli as i am.. she's truly hot and awesome solo artist..
Muswell

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife took up the violin a couple of years ago, having previously played the piano and oboe. The main challenges for her have been intonation and bow control. Less obvious is the mental shift from a "linear" instrument where the notes can only be found in one place to one in which the notes are in a number of places and pitch is not necessarily related to direction of travel. Having played various stringed instruments since the age of 7 I took this for granted and have been struck by observing this "topographical" factor which had not occurred to me before.

As far as progress goes, so much depends on how hard and carefully you practice but from observation it seems to take a couple of years to get somewhere and it is essential to get a good teacher who will help you develop a good full sound, which seems to be the achilles heel of many amateur players.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As far as progress goes, so much depends on how hard and carefully you practice but from observation it seems to take a couple of years to get somewhere and it is essential to get a good teacher who will help you develop a good full sound, which seems to be the achilles heel of many amateur players.

A good teacher is ideal during the first few years. Without it, you could be practicing hard for nothing. A lot actually depends on proper balances and relaxation throughout the entire body while playing. Tension cripples the sound.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: