Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

removing paint?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Becky

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: removing paint? Reply with quote

I recently acquired some violins from a school rental program that have the rental numbers painted on the ribs. Is there any way I can remove this without harming the finish?
Thanks
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the type of paint they used...I would start with a very careful scraping...with a very clean and fine edge like a razor blade... even if you take off a micro thin layer of the violin varnish, that is easily repaired... but don't get thru the color layers. You could also try sanding...but be sure the sandpaper is at least 400 grit or finer, and glued to the end of a 45 degree cleanly cut stick...about 1/4" X 1/2" .. that way the grit is easily controlled and you can focus on just the paint.
Good luck... Mat
sonnichs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Becky
I went through this process on some old school Pfretzschner violins. Mat is giving you good advice, however in my case the white "paint" that the school used was something, probably acetone based, that ate right into the violin varnish and seeped into the wood. I expect that this was deliberate to prevent easy removal.
If gentle methods such as Mat suggests don't work ( You may also try scotch brite which is a rather gentle sanding medium), you may have to resort to acetone, lacquer thinner or "Stripeze". That is where I finally ended up. Fortunately most schools mark the ribs or areas not as involved with the sound, and most restorers would probably agree that this is not invasive although inconvenient. I touched up with the usual methods-luckily the Pfretzschner breed seems to have a "blended" antique type finish and I was able to take advantage of this in making a blended touchup.

Regards, Fritz
atelier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Becky, I would agree with the methods mentioned by Mat and Fritz. A very light scraping on a tiny section of a painted number to establish how deep the paint goes and you may find that it does not penetrate beyond the first layer of varnish. Be careful not to enlarge the affected areas with the scraper. A good photo of the painted numbers might have been useful to see first, however proceed with care and hopefuly things will be ok and it will probably require no more than a clear varnish touch up. Smile
Jack H.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would start with water and then work up to the more agressive solutions like xylene and then scrapping.

Good luck though Becky.

Jack H.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: