Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The problem with music stores

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LSOviolinist

Location: Los Angeles, California/Boston, Massachusetts/New York, New York

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: The problem with music stores Reply with quote

I've recently been traveling and have noticed that music stores do not provide anything of interest to professional musicians. Even for intermediate-advanced musicians, quality is not offered. It's a shame that music stores only cater to beginning musicians. I know I'm generalizing, (and ranting a bit), but I should be able to find a DECENT set of strings at a MUSIC store. AT LEAST they should educate their staff on basic musical knowledge, like the tuning of the instruments they sell! Maybe one day the word QUALITY will come back to our society. Rolling Eyes
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello LSOviolinist,

I can appreciate your comments. Finding quality information is difficult, and if there is good information, its bits and pieces here and there, not thorough, and not well presented.

I've seen some pretty good information on the forum at violinist.com though.

I would be interested to know what other information you are looking for. Please post it here or let me know. I maybe able to help.
LSOviolinist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Lemuel! Very Happy I appreciate the offer of help, however I was only making an observation. I have been on the road, traveling from city to city, and frequently stop at music stores just for the heck of it, mind you, not luthiers or string shops. It can be hard to find what you're looking for. Laughing I thought it was a funny conundrum.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LSOviolinist,

Since you had mentioned violin tuning, I wonder if you could do me a favor and review the following released article.

Please let me know what you think.

http://www.violins.ca/info/how_to_tune_a%20_violin.html
Stradsman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that too. It's a business decision. The customers at music stores are possibly about 95% beginners. They have no time for serious musicians.

It's the same thing with book stores. Have you ever taken a look at the music section in a Borders of B&N bookstore? It's embarrassing!

40% of the books are on the Beatles, 30% on Michael Jackson, 25% on the Rolling Stones, and the remaining 5% on whatever is left.

I look like I just ate a lemon when I pass through there.
LSOviolinist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lemuel, that article on violin tuning is very good. What a great webpage to offer to students. Great job!

And to Stradsman, it's nice to know that I'm not alone in the music store conundrum! And how right you are about Border's books. It always seems to be that selection.
Jack Rushing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lemuel wrote:
LSOviolinist,

Since you had mentioned violin tuning, I wonder if you could do me a favor and review the following released article.

Please let me know what you think.

http://www.violins.ca/info/how_to_tune_a%20_violin.html

Lemuel,
That is a Treasure Trove of good information. Not only for the beginner,
but serves as a refresher course for advanced players and luthiers.
Thanks for the link.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LSOviolinist and Jack,

Thanks for your feedback. It was appreciated.

I was actually hoping or looking forward to feedback on errors detected or suggestions on things I may have missed in order to make it more useful to beginning violinists.
LSOviolinist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lemuel, the only thing that I would add to your page on tuning would be the actual tuning of the instrument G-D-A-E. I know you state it on other pages but to re-state it would be a good idea. Other than that it seems like a very good informational page!
gavin_rossdale

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: The problem with music stores Reply with quote

LSOviolinist wrote:
I've recently been traveling and have noticed that music stores do not provide anything of interest to professional musicians. Even for intermediate-advanced musicians, quality is not offered. It's a shame that music stores only cater to beginning musicians. I know I'm generalizing, (and ranting a bit), but I should be able to find a DECENT set of strings at a MUSIC store. AT LEAST they should educate their staff on basic musical knowledge, like the tuning of the instruments they sell! Maybe one day the word QUALITY will come back to our society. Rolling Eyes
i think this is a thing of the past when i was just taking up violin music lessons.. ive been into many music stores these days.. and they have really knowledgeable sale reps.. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: