Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it OK to leave it out of the case for months, years?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Everything Else
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stradsman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:33 am    Post subject: Is it OK to leave it out of the case for months, years? Reply with quote

Hello. I have a cheap violin that I use, mostly for practicing. I know that eventually I will need to get a more expensive violin.

That said, just how much damage will it do to the instrument if I don't put it back in its case after I'm done practicing. Sometimes its more convenient to lean it against the wall in my study and pick it up when I need it.

Is this a really bad habit?
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Is it OK to leave it out of the case for months, years? Reply with quote

I sometimes leave the violin out when I will be practicing shortly after.

Leaving the violin outside of the case is ok as long it is away from excess or low humidity, and excessive heat and cold (and of course children in my case). Smile
Stradsman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Glad to hear it isn't so bad after all. My teacher used to be obsessed about putting the violin back in the case even for a half hour break. So I felt guilty leave it out overnight. I feel better now. Smile
Benedict White

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put it back in the case...

It is less to do with humidity etc. and more to do with how easy it is to damage.
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The case is an item merely for the physical protection of the instrument. It helps maintain humidity and temerature in extreme conditions such as during transportation in northern winters. It is in fact better to keep the instrument outside of the case and exposed to normal noise, music, conversations etc. in a normal home environment. This exposure helps the instrument "stay alive" when not in use... exposure to sound has the same positive effect on the instrument as playing, but normally not to the same degree , but, beneficial just the same.
Cheers, Mat
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mat,

This is the first time I've actually heard it was better to keep the violin outside for the reasons you give ...almost as if the violin was alive to begin with, and requires social interaction with the environment. Very Happy
Benedict White

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time I have heard it, but now I think about it, violins are alive from conception let alone birth... though some are more alive than others Smile
gavin_rossdale

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most damages a violin undergo is because of the owner's neglect, such as placing it in areas where it's more exposed to possibilities of damage.. That is why violin players should take care of their instruments as good as they know how to play the violin
ctviolin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll take a shot at this.
I have violins that are newly made (by me), that have been fitted with a bridge, soundpost and strings. Usually such violins are lined up in the shop (on a display wall) and are offered for sale - they maintain a proper tune, and are lined up to be seen and played immediately.

For whatever reason, I do not keep all of my violins out for inspectation, but some go in a case (an inexpensive $40.00 case - $20 to me) and are de tuned from standard pitch a bit, so that the dominant strings last a bit longer, and I'll take them out play in and hang, when I believe I have a buyer for one...

But whenever I sell a violin, I usually just sell it, and let the customer deal with his own decision about a case and bow that are the quality and price they want. (that is, one to suite their 3,500 dollar investment) I will alwas have at least two new (very cheap) full sized cases available for anyone that purchases one (a violin) and want a suitabley protective case to take the violin home for the first time.

I admit that I don't charge anything for one of these 4/4 cases, but then I don't expect the buyer to use it for any longer than it takes them to buy a quality case for themselves..

Other than that all of my used violins, and fractional size ones, are in the case they came in, or even one from my collection of old used cases.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Everything Else All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: