Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Kind of Tool?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack Rushing

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: What Kind of Tool? Reply with quote

I am not a very good bow re-hair man. What gives me a lot of trouble is
trying to shape those pesky little plugs and hair spreaders. Do you use just
your hands and fingers to file, saw, whittle, and shape them, or do you have
some special tools that you use to hold, and work on them?
Jack H.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharp knife and a cutting block...
FiddleDoug

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto to what Jack said. Sharp knife and cutting block.

www.wallindependent.com
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack... I use a pair of small sized vicegrips to firmly hold the plugs and then touch them to a sanding disc... not traditional but works well for me. The wedge... I cut a bunch of strips in a variety of thicknesses. Once the frog is reassembled, test fit the various thicknesses to see which is closest. I trim the exposed end to be nice and clean and square on the sanding disc, then cut off a piece about 7 -8 mm long. Trim the edges with a sharp knife to an angle to fit the corner of the ferrule, and taper the sides to fit into the frog. Lay the wedge flat against a block of wood, hairside down, and with a very sharp full width chisel taper the flat from full thickness at the exposed end to about 1mm thick at the pointy end. If the space for the wedge is not even all the way across, then shave the wedge to match with the chisel. Once the wedge seems like it is the right fit, spread the hair, insert the wedge and push it all the way in using a square tool... I use the square edge of the shaft of a chisel... it should be a fairly snug fit. This leaves a nicely finished exposed wedge edge.
Hope this helps... Mat
Becky

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree--those plugs sure are pesky! I've just gotten started on rehairing bows on my own. In theory, I know how to do it and have done it under the watchful eye of a luthier...but I never had to make the plugs. I've been stuck on this bow for 4 days because I can't make a good plug. I know that practice is key (I certainly have been getting a lot of that lately) but are there any other tips on making a good plug? My problem is I can't figure out what's going on inside where I can't see and what's keeping the plug from going down more. It fits well around the perimeter that I can see.
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Becky, I carefully study the angles of the mortise then shape the plug from there. I leave the sides at a lesser taper so that I can feel the bottom sides of the plug touching the sides of the mortise. Then slowly shave away the sides of the plug til it fits just right. As for the depth I always measure the diameter of the knot and the depth of the mortise...that tells you how thick the plug should be. Beware that too much pressure on the sides can leave you with a blowout!
Plan on doing about 20-30 rehairs before you get it really good!
Good luck... Mat
Becky

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mat! That helped--as well as switching to a different bow. I spent 2 weeks attempting to make plugs for the first bow and never succeeded. On the second bow, the first plug I started turned into the final product after about 2 hours. I realized the mortise on the first bow I tried has a bit of crookedness in the edges, and the interior of the mortise has a few small juts. In this situation, does one shape the plug to fit the mortise, or do something to fix the mortise?
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the circumstances... but usually I fix the mortise... Mat
John Cadd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Heron -Allen book explains the plugs quite well.The bit I had to take on board was the furthest end has to go below the surface first.Then rotates back up as the hair tension takes effect.This jams the hair between the plug and bow tip (internal angle).Thinking of this rotation gives you the best approach.This should be done first without hair ,then trimmed to work with hair. I bought a French Carbon bow once and the plug popped out the first time I used it.(within 10 seconds)
I made a new one and fitted it inside half an hour.(including looking in the book)
ollieken

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Bow Rehair Vidio Reply with quote

Becky Craig Tucker has a DV D on Bow Rehair along with a folder appr. 35 pages with pic & instructions He is on this forum . If your Interested . Ken
Craig `s Home Phone # 505- 623-9013
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
John Cadd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hair spreaders can be shaped from a piece of wood long enough to hold comfortably.Do all the work of trimming and fitting first.Test the tightness etc.Then cut it off the "temporary handle" and press it into place.
ctviolin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Bow Rehair Vidio Reply with quote

ollieken wrote:
Becky Craig Tucker has a DV D on Bow Rehair along with a folder appr. 35 pages with pic & instructions He is on this forum . If your Interested . Ken
Craig `s Home Phone # 505- 623-9013

Now, 575- 444- 6215.

Thanks Ken!
ct
ctviolin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: What Kind of Tool? Reply with quote

JacK Rushing wrote:
I am not a very good bow re-hair man. What gives me a lot of trouble is
trying to shape those pesky little plugs and hair spreaders. Do you use just
your hands and fingers to file, saw, whittle, and shape them, or do you have
some special tools that you use to hold, and work on them?

Just for kicks -

I shape those small plugs on a belt sander with a 1"X42" sanding belt.

I can say it is a bit rediculos because I have giant fingers...

But I have used them (and the belt sander) to shape plugs since day 1.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: