Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Learning to Rehair a Bow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
famuswood

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Learning to Rehair a Bow Reply with quote

Does anyone know a source for learning to re-hair violin bows? My motivation is personal. I have made one violin and have begun working on #2. Also, I enjoy looking for old fiddles to repair and sometimes repair violins of friends and acquaintances. I have acquired two bows now that do not have hair and I would like to have some fun learning to do the re-hair myself. I would be thankful for any ideas or thoughts about where to find some assistance on the subject. Thanks.
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I got started on...
http://www.amazon.ca/Violin-Rehair-Repair-Harry-Wake/dp/0960704817
It will take some time to get onto it , but if you are up for the challenge, give it a go... ask as you go along.
Cheers, Mat
famuswood

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mat. I appreciate the tip. I have purchased the hair and bow jig but still need the hair tie wire, etc. I will explore the book you suggest. I really appreciate that you took the time to respond.
Have a great day.
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Famuswood... No problem we are here to help...
Tie wire... if you are using wire, get a 28 Ga. brass wire from any craft hobby shop. Wrap the hank 6 or 7 times and twist the ends. Pulling the ends to get the wraps tight then snug it up with further twisting. Don't use the twist action to tighten as you will likely break the wire.
If you want to use a thread knot which is traditional, use only nylon extra strong upholstery thread by Coates... from any fabric shop. I use 3 succesive and continuous "constrictor" knots which works well and holds snug.
http://www.animatedknots.com/constrictorend/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com or
http://www.animatedknots.com/constrictorfold/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com
These are both the same knot just created differently.
Good luck!... Mat
Joshua Blevins

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here you go:

http://www.violinbowrehairingdvd.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24QwB3Faj2E
famuswood

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Joshua. I think I will purchase that DVD.
ollieken

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: bow re hair Reply with quote

Hi Craig Tucker Has a dvd & a print out on bow re hair I have it & it is ok
At the time i think it was around $50. Craig is on this site you can contac him here . Just put out a post for craig tucker on bow re hair Ken
Ps I see on another site that he had some health problum but i think he is back on line
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ctviolin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Learning to Rehair a Bow Reply with quote

famuswood wrote:
Does anyone know a source for learning to re-hair violin bows? My motivation is personal. I have made one violin and have begun working on #2. Also, I enjoy looking for old fiddles to repair and sometimes repair violins of friends and acquaintances. I have acquired two bows now that do not have hair and I would like to have some fun learning to do the re-hair myself. I would be thankful for any ideas or thoughts about where to find some assistance on the subject. Thanks.

I realize that you posted this a while ago, but;

If you e-mail me your address (ctviolin(at symbol)gmail(dot)com)- I'll get you some re-hair material that I put out ten or fifteen years ago - it is mainly free to very interested people. I do not charge anymore because I have been told that there are many many products that are out there these days, that are much clearer and to the point, and much newer than my own old CD's are. So, I no longer charge but as a consequence, I don't send many out. It cost a bit to burn the disc, xerox the thirty some odd pages, package and and mail.

Anyway, I'm still re-hairing bows for a living, and if you want a copy of the material, I could mail one to you - gratis. That is, if your still as interested in this as you seem...

The method is absolutely typical of re-hairs today, and is correctly depicted - it may be a bit crude compared with much more modern attempts. Oh well.

Thanks, famouswood
ct
SooT

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good class to take is the one Lynn Hannings teaches at:

http://scvmw.com/workshop.php

rehairing is the basic of her class.
fiddler59

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used CTViolins DVD and printed material to get started rehairing then spent 3 days with John Norwood Lee in Chicago after I knew it was a skill I wanted to pursue. CT's method was spot on with everything John went over. Craig's method gives excellent results. My first rehair turned out much better than I thought it would. The main thing is take your time and follow his instructions in the order he presents. There is a reason for every step. There are many different methods that give good results. I see people argue on forums and defending there method is the only way.......in fact the only thing that matters is the end result. I am a tip to frog person and that works for me. Some people do it frog to tip and get good results....the main thing when learning is find a method that is proven and follow it to the letter. I don't recommend Wakes book on rehairing though. There is a DVD out by Roger Foster that is very good that I found helpful.

David Blackmon
ctviolin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David...

Thank you!

It is a job that I really love doing.
(Oddly, most people I have spoken with, who do it frequently, or as a job, rarely actually like doing it - its simply a job that someone has to get done..)

interesting.
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctviolin wrote:
....It is a job that I really love doing.....

I'm with you CT!
I learned from The Harry wake book then asked anyone that would listen and read everything I could find... I now have "my" system that works for me.
There is a particular pleasure when a rehair comes together nice and even and straight.
Cheers, Mat
ctviolin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mat Roop wrote:
ctviolin wrote:
....It is a job that I really love doing.....

I'm with you CT!
I learned from The Harry wake book then asked anyone that would listen and read everything I could find... I now have "my" system that works for me.
There is a particular pleasure when a rehair comes together nice and even and straight.
Cheers, Mat

Absolutely Mat.

It's a job that is never exactly the same twice, and it's a job that requires absolute thinking @ concentration to get correct.

I love it. An hour or two from start to finish. Too cool.

ct
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: