Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UV Drying

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JWH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: UV Drying Reply with quote

I haven't made a UV box yet but might ask the simple questions about the best bulbs to use.

Does polymerization most readily react to UVA long length, UVB medium length or UVC short length radiation?
Would a full spectrum bulb with UV enhancement be sufficient? I don't much care about building heat up with infrared.

From what I've read UVC is germicidal, dangerous and not recommended. Apparently 99% of atmospheric UV is UVA since ozone is most effective in filtering out shorter wavelengths.

I thought someone here might know some of the better bulbs to use and sufficient wattage.

I've heard folks mention finding throw-away tanning bulbs. Apparently, bulbs lose UV generation after time even though they continue to glow and the effective radiation distance from the bulb surface declines.
mikemolnar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use germicidal T10 lamps from 1000Bulbs.com. You want to fit the most lamps possible (maximum wattage) in your box. The inside of the box should be lined with aluminum foil. Mine also has a muffin fan that pulls the air in through a filter at the bottom of the box. The air exits at the top. The door also has a small UV absorbing plastic window.

It also has a thermometer. The inside is a comfortable 82F.

Final note: make the box big enough to hold your largest projects!
JWH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mike..............chunk of change aren't they?
FiddleDoug

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: UV Bulbs Reply with quote

I'm new on this forum, but post on some other forums. Although I haven't built a cabinet myself, yet, I have looked into it. It turns out that fluorescent bulbs used by people who raise reptiles are high in both UVA and UVB. Do a search under "reptile light" and you should turn up some info.

www.wallindependent.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: