Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suzuki method

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Becky

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Suzuki method Reply with quote

Is there anyone on this forum who has experience with the Suzuki method, either as a teacher or a student? For all the popularity his name has, I have trouble finding violinists who actually use his method. For anyone with experience, what are your thoughts about it? For those with experience or knowledge about it, what are the key things that differentiate the Suzuki method from the traditional method? What things are the same? What does the Suzuki method focus on? Does it ignore things the traditional approach emphasizes?
I know a few students who had a little experience with the Suzuki method when they were really young, but their parents switched them to a traditional method. I find these students have a harder time with note reading (maybe because of the "mother tongue" theory Suzuki had?) but that could also just be coincidence. I really want to know more about the Suzuki method--especially from those who experience(d) it first hand.
Thanks.
meehans4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: I was trained in Suzuki for years... Reply with quote

I started playing when I was only 3, which is way too young, in my opinion. What choice did I have? Anyway, I started Suzuki. To this day, I can hear music and play it, but reading notes is very awkward for me. I have forced myself to learn, but that is just not something that Suzuki even mentions. Their method is to listen to a song repeatedly and then learn to play it EXACTLY as you heard it.

I never learned a bit of theory. I have no idea how to identify more than one or two keys. Any theory I have, I picked up in high school orchestra. I do not recall playing scales until a student of mine asked if they should be playing them.

On the plus side, Suzuki transitions through songs in a very progressive manner. What you learn in each song, you will use in future songs. They really build well on one another. Also, the music is classic and beautiful. Many of the well known classical pieces will be learned through Suzuki. Also, if you are trained in Suzuki, you will play well. There is no other option!

Currently, when I teach, I use the Suzuki songs, but incorporate theory, sight reading and scales for practice. I also allow my students stylistic freedom. For the non-professional player, this type of lesson is great. If you want to be a concert violinist, I would definitely go for the Suzuki method. You will look great and sound great or you'll never move forward to another song.

I am glad that I was trained in Suzuki. However, I wish that I had been trained in piano first--age 5-7--and theory and THEN introduced to a more specific instrument and the Suzuki method.

I hope that helps you. If you have other questions, please let me know!
Amalia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: suzuki Reply with quote

When I was beginning, I always had a method book (String Builder), a technic book (Wohlfahrt, etc) and a solo piece (a Seitz concerto perhaps). Now that I am a mom with kids taking strings, the teachers usually assign the kids lessons with similar materials, only they use the Suzuki books instead of the solo pieces I was given. Of course the Suzuki book contain some of the exact same pieces!

Anyway, the teachers tell me that they like and use the Suzuki books for their solo pieces, but they feel that Suzuki used exclusively, does not produce a player who can read music well.
Amalia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: suzuki Reply with quote

When I was beginning, I always had a method book (String Builder), a technic book (Wohlfahrt, etc) and a solo piece (a Seitz concerto perhaps). Now that I am a mom with kids taking strings, the teachers usually assign the kids lessons with similar materials, only they use the Suzuki books instead of the solo pieces I was given. Of course the Suzuki book contain some of the exact same pieces!

Anyway, the teachers tell me that they like and use the Suzuki books for their solo pieces, but they feel that Suzuki used exclusively, does not produce a player who can read music well.
meehans4

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: More info. for you Reply with quote

I found this article on Suzuki--searching online. It is just another point of view and describes the expected parent contribution well.

Posted September 7, 2007

Local Suzuki music studios gain students

By Shenandoah Sowash
For the Marshfield News-Herald

STEVENS POINT -- Some think of music lessons as a half-hour each week with a teacher and occasional practice time at home. The Suzuki Method, however, requires high levels of discipline and commitment, mandating daily rehearsal time and designating the parent as the primary teacher.

While the Aber Suzuki Center through the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point is the dominant Suzuki institute in the community, two additional Suzuki studios offer musical guidance and expertise to local residents.

Jennifer Burton has been teaching violin and viola in the Suzuki Method since 1977 and owns Burton Suzuki Studio.

"I've never seen a child fail. I've seen families that don't find a way to find time to make it work, but I've never seen a child fail with Suzuki," she said.

Burton emphasizes the healing power of music through her teaching. She recently took some students to a retirement community, and the children played for residents.

"There was a woman there. The children were playing simple songs, and she started singing along in German. She was catatonic at first, but her face came alive and she became another person," she said.

Burton believes parents must be as invested in their child's musical development as the child. In addition to individual and group lessons for children, Burton offers a four-week parent class in which parents study Suzuki principles and even learn to play violin or viola to help them understand their child's experience with an instrument.

"Being busy is the biggest problem I encounter. This is a long-term study," Burton said. "It's not like you have a season like golf or basketball. We're in this for the long haul."

Brian and Daniela Kurzynski have a 5-year-old child who studies violin with Burton.

"I practice with him ... I have to be there and watch him practice every day," Daniela said.

Heidi Corcoran and her husband, Aaron Marx, run the Prairie Oaks Conservatory, providing Suzuki training in violin, viola and cello for Stevens Point and Marshfield.

"I was a Suzuki kid myself. We wanted to be here and contribute," Corcoran said.

Corcoran has taught at the Aber Suzuki Center for the last seven summers.

"I really liked and learned from these teachers, but I wanted to implement my own ideas. Also, they have such a long waiting list," she said.

Corcoran also hopes to provide community and school outreach as her studio grows.

"We want our students to play well, but we also want them to infiltrate the community with their talent," she said.
Gizmo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Becky. I'm not a Suzuki student but I am very curious and maybe there is another way to evaluate Suzuki.

Are contemporary virtuosos typically from a Suzuki background ?

Are Juilliard candidates/students usually from a Suzuki background ?

Is the Suzuki method/philosophy applicable to other than stringed instruments ?

(My gut feel having toyed with Suzuki and other methods is that Suzuki
is highly over-rated altho I did like the sense of well chosen material as
the method progresses.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: