Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

freezing glue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KenN

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: freezing glue Reply with quote

I got tired of going to heat up some glue left over from a few days, to a week or so ago and finding it growing mold. Yesterday I heated up a new batch about 10x bigger than usual (It grew after expanding to more than half of a pint jar). It melted beautifully, and the two tops I glued up looked like a text book with the glue excess running down. My others always seem thicker, but I didn't add any extra water. When I added the water to cover the glue I kept stirring it up and adding more water until the glue looked like sugar. I could turn the jar upside down and no wter leaked out and the rubbery, swelled up glue didn't move at all. I sat it in a pan of hot water from the tap and it was ready in less than 10 minutes.
Does the glue heat up better when you have more of it?
I poured the glue into a container and after about 3 hours I cut it into a dozen 1" cubes of amber rubber. They were still rubbery this morning after I got home from work and I wrapped them up an threw them in the freezer. The plates glued perfectly with a rub joint.
Is it better to freeze them in that rubbery state, or wait for them to get hard? Would they ever get hard?
Jack Rushing

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the freezing part, but a well known violin maker on this
forum, a while back, suggested putting a couple of drops of alcohol in your
glue mixture to prevent mold, until the next time you use it. I assume he
meant a small quantity
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a few drops on top just enough to wet the surface to sterilize it... The alcohol evaporates in quick order. If you keep the glue out on your bench, you will need to reapply more alcohol every few days to kill any mould spores that may have landed and taken up residency.
Your glue cubes will shrink and get hard only if they can dry. If they are in sealed plastic or glass... they will stay the way they are.
I have refrigerated hide glue , but never frozen it, so can't comment on the effect of freezing.
Cheers, Mat
KenN

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to thaw out one of the cubes yesterday to fix a crack. It worked real nice. It melted fast and the glue set good. It also stayed liquid. Sometimes when I would reheat glue it would get crusty or lumpy. Maybe I never added enough water before. I added some alcohol when I was done, maybe it will work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: