Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who has the record for longest build time?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ctviolin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_violin wrote:
Hi Kevin,
I myself have decided that plate tuning is a waist of time.

I would like to know more on your other point "ff hole placement".

Anyone like to coment on that one?
Thanks, Larry Lewis

Yeah, ok, I'll comment.

I too "ignore" the plate tuning (as it is presented.) Though, in the past, I have investigated several methods, before learning to ignore them outright.
FF hole placement is an interesting subject, which anyone can have a simple answer for, or more complex formula for.

These are the sort of things that violin makers often separate over. But the fact of the matter is that I have known great violin makers who do tune (using whatever method) and great makers who wouldn't think of tuning.

Both get the results they're looking for.
mr_violin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Kevin,

I must say, that is about the best answer as to why to go to a plate tuning class as I have heard anywhere.
I hope it will help you in your making better violins.

My very first time ever to go to a violin maker and ask questions ( I knew nothing about violins. That time 20 years ago) ,He had just spent about 10 minutes telling my all how he tuned the plates and all. I then ask just one question more; " do you tune the top before or after the F holes and basebar is added?" . He told me; "before". Well I said ; "seams like it would change a lot after the F holes and basebar is added" . He then told me that he had never thought of that. I never ask him an other question . He had been making violins he told me for over 20 years. All that time he never thought how the F holes and basebar would change the tap tone of the top.

After that I have never thought much of tuning the plates.

Larry Lewis
kjb

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some people tune before and after, and then some more fine tuning of the sound after its put together taking some off the top. Seems to be lots of different ways, I guess thats why its so challenging!
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"These are the sort of things that violin makers often separate over. But the fact of the matter is that I have known great violin makers who do tune (using whatever method) and great makers who wouldn't think of tuning.

Both get the results they're looking for."

That is a pretty astute statement. I agree completely.

I have tried both ways, and I know makers from both camps. Currently my two most valuable and expert teachers (who do not know each other) concur on this point at least--neither of them do any sort of free-plate tuning. Both use rather terse terminolgy to state why.

I am open to the idea, but for now I do not use it. I do tap the plates and listen to them, but it is primarily because it pleases me to do so. I don't think I am making adjustments that matter, based on information gathered by tapping.There are makers who do so and get great results...but many who don't, and still get great results, as CT said.
M_A_T_T

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last was the longest, at 21 months. I kind of fell out of love with making them and started a new hobby while building it.

Making a Violin III - Finally Finished
actonern

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Yes... what was the new hobby???
jacobyfineviolins

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had heard for years before (RIP) Mr. Becker passed away that he was on the same violin for almost the last decade. Here's hoping he finished it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: