Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

teaching the disabled

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Becky

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: teaching the disabled Reply with quote

Has anyone had experience teaching a child with a disabilty (specifically down's syndrome)?
I recently repaired a violin for a teenage girl with downs. She was in tears of joy when I gave it to her. She has always wanted to play the violin. She has a good sense of rhythm. She can sing--not overly well, but if it's slow, it's recognizable. She struggles with reading, so I was thinking about using the Suzuki/play by ear method.
Now for the cons. Her coordination isn't good. I tried explaining, showing, and positioning her hands but they just wouldn't go where they're supposed to. She is hard to understand and I don't know how much of what I say/show she can comprehend.
She really wants to learn and is so appreciative...the kind of student every teacher longs for...I just don't know if it's possible for her to learn anything. Has anyone had experience teaching disabled kids? Any suggestions? Thanks
Amalia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: suggestion Reply with quote

I have not taught a Downes child but here's an idea: If you can find the Samuel Applebaum Orchestra books they have a "open strings" part. You could play the first violin part with this child and teach her (at first anyway) to play the open string part. That would be an easy place to start that would be rewarding for her when you play together. Or you could just make up an open string part for her, that would go along with simple songs you could play with her.

Hint: For teaching her straight bowing, it may help to teach her to bow on 2 strings at once. It's easier to "feel" the bow laying correctly on the strings if you are playing 2 strings at once. I am using this idea with one of my younger children and it seems to be working well.
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a "real" player so can't comment on the substance of the thread , but I can't resist saying that I have the highest respect and admiration for those who strive to do the almost impossible for the least fortunate of our society. Hats off to you both Amalia and especially Becky... you are making this world a better place...Mat
Selah

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: I've taught.... Reply with quote

classes for kids with special needs but never on the violin.

Sometimes you have to put away everything you know about "traditional" teaching. It takes some students everything they have to just sit at the piano or even concentrate for more than several minutes.

My advice: Go slow and positively reward every accomplishment no matter how small. Incorporate visual recognition in your lessons so that the focus isn't merely on playing as the physical aspect of playing will take a long time to develop. Flashcards are great for this!

Also, rely heavily on their caretakers to give you clues as to how your student is acting socially. People close to a child with special needs will know when a student is truly not able to concentrate for a given lesson and when they're just being obstinate.

It takes a lot of patience and perserverance but they will learn over time. Good luck!

Pause and think about it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: