Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Introduction, Rules and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob R

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: New Member Reply with quote

Hello,
Happy to join. I am a retired HVAC controls engineer. In retirement I have taken up wood working, mostly furniture and and some carving. In the past I have successfully prepared student violin bridges for my daughters string students. My daughter is a professional cellist as well as a teacher. She plays in several large city orchestras. I would like to be able to prepare/fit bridges for her several cellos. Since this would take more, much, much more, accuracy than a students instrument requires I hope to learn more about preparing the "cello bridge" and develop the necessary skills required. It has been suggested that it would be helpful to learn these skills directly from a Luthier as one can only learn so much from a book. In fact the more I read the more difficult the process seems to be. I suppose that I should be asking were I might find a Luthier in San Francisco Bay Area that would be willing to teach an old man, I will be 70 this year, how to make a professional quality cello bridge. I would also enjoy hearing other comments about how to begin.
Thank you
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert,

Welcome to the forum. I believe you are the one I spoke to on the phone.
You'll find most of the excitement located in this part of the forum:

http://www.violins.ca/forums/viewforum.php?f=2

Please set up new topic and post your questions.

Regards,
Lemuel
ctviolin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member Reply with quote

Bob R wrote:

Hello,
I suppose that I should be asking were I might find a Luthier in San Francisco Bay Area that would be willing to teach an old man, I will be 70 this year, how to make a professional quality cello bridge. I would also enjoy hearing other comments about how to begin.
Thank you

Good to see you here, Rob,
Never to late to do something you have an interest in. (in my opinion) Please do join in, and question the members here about whatever you would like. Good luck finding some professional help in San Francisco.

All you need to have, really, to begin, is an interest, and a persistent nature about asking questions...

Craig T
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Introduction, Rules and Suggestions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: