Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how to tie a bow hair knot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: how to tie a bow hair knot Reply with quote

I have commented a few times recently and in the past, that I use a constrictor knot when tying bow hair... Nobody has ever nibbled on that comment... so here is my direct question...
What kind of knot do you use?
What is the traditional knot?
How many laps in your knot?
Have you tried a constrictor knot and what do you think of it?
I think the constrictor knot is quite superior, but then maybe that is what everyone uses, or maybe there is something better?
Cheers, Mat
ctviolin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: how to tie a bow hair knot Reply with quote

Mat Roop wrote:
I have commented a few times recently and in the past, that I use a constrictor knot when tying bow hair... Nobody has ever nibbled on that comment... so here is my direct question...
What kind of knot do you use?
What is the traditional knot?
How many laps in your knot?
Have you tried a constrictor knot and what do you think of it?
I think the constrictor knot is quite superior, but then maybe that is what everyone uses, or maybe there is something better?
Cheers, Mat

It may well be superior, I'd like to see it being done by you on a bundle of hair.

I usually go (wrap) around the hair, like twice, then I go around once more putting the loose end (the end I'm winding) behind the piece I'm holding (with my teeth), and then go around behind once more so there's two direct winds, and then two more that have a half knot.
Then of course I complete the knot separate from the windings - they actually stick out from the windings very slightly.

I find it easy to get as tight as i like. It's most usually four thread widths wide.

Then again I didn't try the particular knot that was shown, since I didn't think it was a critical part of what you were doing...

Thanks! now I have to go back and try THAT specific knot!

Make sense?
fiddler59

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use sort of a modified fly fisherman's knot. Lately Ive been doing it like Craig. Either way I have had no problems with slippage by the time I wick a little CA on the end of the knot. It ain't rocket science.... that's for sure.

David Blackmon
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, I have this fear that one day one of my rehairs will let go in the middle of a performance... and so I am paranoid about the knot (and plug) being perfect and absolutely tight. ... although in the 20+ years of rehairing, It has never happened (that I know of). I also know that most will just yank a broken hair rather than cut it and this is the start of problems.
It was surprising to me when I did some testing, how easily a single strand of hair could be pulled out of a knot especially with the classic rosin sealer, hide glue, or even carpenters glue. I was never a fan of Super glue because I did not get the hang of it to prevent migration past the knot, which made my knots too long for the mortise.. I'll have to try again, now that I have tighter knots.
I looked for fly Fishermans knots... but there are so many!
http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php
Is there one here that resembles what you use?
Do you use an accelerator for the superglue?
Thanks... Mat
fiddler59

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never really had a lot problem with ca going past the knot. My knot is really tight and the threads are layered next to each other like a wound guitar string. All it is is a half knot at the beginning and then wind on top of the thread that is not in your hand. I end the knot with 2 half hitches. Then I cut the threads within 2mm take a toothpick and put a very small dab of ca on the 2 half hitches, then burn the ends of the thread. Then I cut the hair and apply ca at the end usually by putting a small pool of ca on a scrap piece of paper. Then I'll hit it with some heat from a hair dryer. I don't like using accelerator because that stuff is extremely toxic. I learned most of what I do from Craig with a couple of bits from John Norwood Lee. Basically what I explained is what John Norwood Lee went over with me which is very close to what Craig does.

David Blackmon 122
fiddler59

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are really paranoid about ca getting past the knot, use gel control ca, it takes longer to dry though.
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info David... I'll try your ca method. I always had trouble with the half knot as it takes 3 hands to keep it really tight.
Ct... When I can get to it I will try to do a video of the knot I use... but I know I won't get to it for at least the next 6 weeks. Never done a video or posted one, so I guess it will be another learning process.
Thanks for all the thoughts... Cheers, Mat
fiddler59

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use nylon oboe reed tying thread. I mount the spool of thread underneath my table with an L bracket screwed to the table. Then I mount the spool of thread to the L bracket with a hardware bolt and a wing nut. The spool effectively becomes my third hand. I can pull the knot as tight as I want with the spool of thread tightened to the metal L bracket with the wing nut. It woks great.....!!

David Blackmon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: