Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Removing stubborn or stuck slide, quickly and easily.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ctviolin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Removing stubborn or stuck slide, quickly and easily. Reply with quote

I discovered this method about five years into the rehairs.
I'm positive it is out there somewhere without my help, but here it is anyway.

Step one; remove frog from bow, with the hair cut off short near the frog. remove the wedge from under the hair with the ferrule slid off of the frog. So far normal, right?

Step two; Put the frog into the vice - slide side up. The vice should be a luthiers vice, and have wooden jaws. (If there is a fear of damaging the frog, using metal jaws, put some wooden slides against the curved sides of the frog to keep the ebony from directly contacting the vice jaws. (not usually necessary with a wooden faced vice)

Step three; take a wooden stick (about 1/4" wide by 6" long by about 1/16" thick - see photo) and put about a 1" piece of two sided tape on it - trim the edges to match the edges of the stick and leave 1/4 to 1/2 " of the stick showing at the very end beyond the tape.

Step four; Put the stick, tape side face down on the slide, with the long part of the stick behind the frog (facing the end without the hair).

Step five; put your thumb (I use the left thumb) down on the stick, directly over the double sided tape, and press down with some pressure - use the right hand to tap lightly on the free end of the stick with some tool. I use a small ball peen hammer - but use whatever works for you.

I've never had a frog that was able to resist this method of addressing the slide and removing it, without any breaks or chips.

In fact, I leave it (the slide) stuck on the stick until I'm done with the rehair - keeping it with the rest of the bow parts - it never gets lost or brushed away - and it is easily reversed to get the slide back on. (or tap it if necessary using the extra 1/4 to 1/2" left on the stick)

Photos to follow.

Last edited by ctviolin on Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:40 am; edited 1 time in total
ctviolin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove wedge.

Stick in vice slide side facing up.

Prepare stick.

place stick properly, apply thumb and pressure, and tap slide off. As you can see I use a small hammer.

I usually leave the slide on the stick till it's time to replace it...
If necessary, it can also be tapped back on carefully.
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice advice CT...The only problem I have had with the stick method is that it sometimes is quite difficult to get the slide off the stick and the tape...and... Often the slide (MOP part) separates from the liner and then it is tough to remove the MOP without damage. Your method works great in real tough situations, but for 99% I just fold a strip of masking tape narrower than the slide then apply pressure with my thumb directly to the tape laid on the slide and pull the excess end of the tape... the slide follows. In this case if the MOP separates from the liner, then it is easy to just gently & slowly peel the tape off the MOP.

A follow up question on the next thread.
Cheers, Mat
fiddler59

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just use a piece of rubber band that fits the pearl and press and slide with my thumb. For the real tough ones I do as CT has done.

David Blackmon
whatwasithinking

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried CA glue, followed by glue release?
whatwasithinking

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig,
Just used your method on a stubborn cello frog. Slick as a greased pig!
fiddler59

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatwasithinking wrote:
Has anyone tried CA glue, followed by glue release?

Using CA is not a good idea on the pesrl slide . When you use CA solvent after removing the slide you will run in to problems od small distortions and dimples left on the pearl which requires polishing out. CT's method is much safer.

David Blackmon
whatwasithinking

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the insights on the CA method. That's what one maker suggested to me, so I was curious.
ctviolin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatwasithinking wrote:
Craig,
Just used your method on a stubborn cello frog. Slick as a greased pig!

Yes. Cool.

I find that it puts the pressure exactly where it is needed to remove the slide without damaging anything.

The only possible problem it might have (it, the method, that is) is when the shell layer comes off (or unglued from) the slide base, but that doesn't happen often, and when it does, the fix is the same anyway...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: