Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Neck falling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacobyfineviolins

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Neck falling Reply with quote

Or, more properly, the top rising; most instruments settle in their first year, the neck projection "coming down."
As I understand it, the plates are stretching from the soundpost when this happens. My question is, how do others work to try and reduce this effect?
I don't think prevention is feasible.
I make sure that my top long arch is not too flat: that there is still a steady arc along the long table, and I also TRY to work in a humidity-neutral workshop. Well, I don't try too hard.
Thoughts?

Chris
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that it is not primarily soundpost pressure, but the compressive stress on the ends of the plate, corresponding to the combined tension on the strings, that is slowly collapsing the plate lengthwise, and forcing the curve higher.

Many makers deliberately leave a (slightly) thicker region down the center of the plate, fading smoothly into the block platforms on both ends, as a sort of "girder" to prevent this gradual failure.

Of course the stiffness of the back, which is under tension, not compression, can help alleviate the problem, as well.

There is certainly more to it than I am aware, but I'm pretty sure this is the foundatonal information.

Last edited by Chet Bishop on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
L P Reedy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen conflicting claims about whether the top rises or falls, but it definitely gets a little shorter from the compression Chet mentioned. Rises happen in the upper and lower bouts but maybe not in the middle. Anyway, shortening the top tilts the neck block slightly, and it doesn't take much. I aim for a mm or two higher initial projection, along with a strong long arch. I don't claim to achieve either, but sometimes the fall is quite minimal.
DonLeister

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The projection usually drops a little on mine too so I aim for 27-27.5, and not having the long arch drop too suddenly at each end. Like Chet said, a little more thickness in front of the blocks is a good thing.
It seems like my instruments don't settle in until they have been through a summer here in Virginia. My shop is climate controlled but I do think the instruments should see some mild swings in the weather.
jacobyfineviolins

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've managed to keep it at 1 mm or so for the last dozen fiddles. My 20th violin fell from 27.5 to 24!
And that's when I started examining my building practices.
Thank you for your responses. As is always the case: No magic fixes, but thoughtful making, is the answer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: