Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bow Making Resources
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whatwasithinking

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to get it via interlibrary loan, at my local public library. It's been amazing to see what they can get--nearly everything I've asked for, including most of the books at the top of this thread. Also, the Peccatte and Tourte books, along with Weisshaar's book on violin restoration. Still awaiting a few others. Some come from the Smithsonian, and they'll only let me look at them in the library. Still worthwhile, though.
ctviolin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatwasithinking wrote:
I was able to get it via interlibrary loan, at my local public library. It's been amazing to see what they can get--nearly everything I've asked for, including most of the books at the top of this thread. Also, the Peccatte and Tourte books, along with Weisshaar's book on violin restoration. Still awaiting a few others. Some come from the Smithsonian, and they'll only let me look at them in the library. Still worthwhile, though.

Wow, cool resource - I never really considered trying that - though I have heard of it before.
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great Idea... do you think I can get a copy of this book thru the library system?
The Conservation, Restoration, and Repair of Stringed Instruments and Their Bows
I'll get on that tomorrow!
Cheers, Mat
whatwasithinking

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can locate it via worldcat.org, they can likely get it. And sometimes they can find books even if I can't locate them anywhere. I asked for the article about the Hill method, and within a few weeks it showed up in the mail--at no cost to me!
whatwasithinking

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Added Bolander's other book, 1000 Bows and a Tribute Reply with quote

I updated the list at the top of this thread to include Bolander's pamphlet, "Bow Making--1000 Bows and a Tribute." At 37 pages, it's a pretty quick read, with only one diagram. It still looks very worthwhile, though. Interestingly, it's not copyrighted, as originally published, which was apparently in the early 1960s. Vitali Import Co. apparently republished it in 1982, and I see a used copy for sale at a prominent book retailer for, ahem, a mere $250. If there was a file section on this site, I'd consider uploading it, given that it's not copyrighted.
Ed Shillitoe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone would care if it was posted - the same goes for the book. They were self-published by Mr. Bolander because he wanted the information to be disseminated.

Something else you might not have seen: "A Plea and a Suggestion, by John Alfred Bolander, Violins and Violinists, March-April 1955, pages 73-75".
whatwasithinking

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Ed. I've heard of that article by Mr. Bolander, but haven't seen it.

I contacted the Gutenberg Project to see if they would consider adding the shorter book to their database. If not, do you have any suggestions about a good hosting site?
SooT

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Ed Shillitoe"]I don't think anyone would care if it was posted - the same goes for the book. They were self-published by Mr. Bolander because he wanted the information to be disseminated.

Mr Bolander's book, or the copy I have, was published by Boyd Poulsen, and it is copyrighted.
Ed Shillitoe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah - Mr. Poulsen must have taken over the copyright and published a later edition then. He learned bow making from Mr. Bolander about the same time I did. He's still around - probably you should ask him about posting the text if you still want to!

Ed
SooT

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Shillitoe wrote:
Ah - Mr. Poulsen must have taken over the copyright and published a later edition then. He learned bow making from Mr. Bolander about the same time I did. He's still around - probably you should ask him about posting the text if you still want to!

Ed

Boyd is still around and about, more about. He's my daughter's bow making teacher.
whatwasithinking

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to attempt contact again, then. I've emailed and called, specifically seeking permission to reprint this book. But without response.
SooT

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatwasithinking wrote:
I'll have to attempt contact again, then. I've emailed and called, specifically seeking permission to reprint this book. But without response.

If you are trying to contact Boyd, he's probably away from phone and email, he goes on birding trips to Mexico. I think he's there now.
SooT

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The book that is copyrighted is "Violin Bow Making" by Bolander, I don't think the small book is copyrighted, just wanted to clear that up.
whatwasithinking

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's what I've observed. However, even the small book was published again, by Vitali Import Company. Don't know if that one was copyrighted or not, but the one I've seen was not.

Edit: Posted the url where the pamphlet can be found online. I wouldn't post a link to the later book, though, since it is copyrighted--even if I knew where to find it. Perhaps something will be worked out, though.
whatwasithinking

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Added a few more videos, and sorted the list by language Reply with quote

Added some German language videos. I found them interesting, even if my German is too rusty to pick up everything they said. Sometimes just watching them work and looking at their shops is very helpful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: