Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Loud Violin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Cormier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Loud Violin Reply with quote

So my violin is completed, and the color and varnishing came out well. Thank you all for your counsel. This animal is a loud one! the tone is good. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what would affect the volume .
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Loud Violin Reply with quote

Paul Cormier wrote:
So my violin is completed, and the color and varnishing came out well. Thank you all for your counsel. This animal is a loud one! the tone is good. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what would affect the volume .

Any chance you could post some pictures?

So many possibilities on what affects volume that I don't want to try that one. But I really would like to see the new baby.
kjb

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and a sound clip if you can swing it.
Michael Darnton

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loud is OK if it can be played softly enough. I have more musicians complaining to me that they can't play softly than about not having enough volume. No one in an orchestra or quartet wants to be the FF in a herd of pps.
Paul Cormier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: loud violin Reply with quote

I have to wade through the how to post photos section. I'll have pics soon. I had a super - professional play it yesterday, so I know it's not me.
John Schmidt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: loud violin Reply with quote

Did you measure the M5 tap tones?

If you followed Wake, your top M5 was about 330Hz. I made a violin like this. It was very loud. But now I have decided that the sound is "tubby." Not enough of a "singing" voice. More of a growling voice.
Paul Cormier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: loud violin Reply with quote

My top ended up weighing 65 grams. Wake gave it as 68 grams with a 10 gram margin of error. My back came in right on the money at his suggested weight of 115 grams. My feable attempt at tap toning was abandoned, and just went withthe weights.
John Schmidt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: loud violin Reply with quote

Paul Cormier wrote:
My top ended up weighing 65 grams. Wake gave it as 68 grams with a 10 gram margin of error. My back came in right on the money at his suggested weight of 115 grams. My feable attempt at tap toning was abandoned, and just went withthe weights.

Talk to me before you start your next violin. Finding M2 and M5 is easy.

Hold and knock with knuckle. You could start by using almost any piece of wood. Hold everywhere, knock everwhere. But if it's a longish board, the m5 will be found by holding the wood about 1/5 th of the way in from the end. Knock in the center.
jacobyfineviolins

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you asking for ways the to dial a loud instrument back with setup? Or just wondering what got your fiddle there?
If I have a wildly brash instrument, I check to see that the soundpost is easily moveable (not too tight), that the afterlength isn't too long, and then check the neck angle/ bridge height/ saddle height.
Paul Cormier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: loud violin Reply with quote

Yes, well discribed. I guess I am asking how to dail back the volume. And How did it get there. I was thinking about the sound post. What if the saddle IS too high? Mine is visually high, but I didn't think it mattered that much.
Canuck

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am told my main violin is "loud". My usual retort is to reply with the comment that is NOT loud! I prefer to call it "responsive". But having a responsive violin has a plus, as I see it! Very frequently, I am asked to take the lead, to (sort of) cover for those whose confidence level may be lacking in a particular selection.
Paul Cormier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Loud violin Reply with quote

Thought I posted this, but will try again. Jcobyviolins nailed it. It was the sound post. 2 things I found. #1 The grain of the original was not perpendicular to the plate. #2 it was too tight. I kept sanding it down on my hardwood sanding block one stroke at a time with 150 grit sandpaper until it was perfect, Almost falling out. Just the slightest friction to hold it. Actually at this point the sound post almost set itself-- no more fighting. This puppy has such a full tone , it brings tear s to my eyes! The difference is unbelievable! Thank you.
jacobyfineviolins

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the satisfaction of solving a tonal problem on one of my own fiddles! Feels great! Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: