Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

rib and linings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
actonern

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look carefully at the photos...
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point being that in that particular sequence one can see that both sets of linings were in place before the mold was removed.

I have done them this way, but am not very good at it...so I use a two part mold. I have broken blocks and/or ribs trying to do exactly what Michael is doing in the photo-essay.

Henry Strobel teaches it that way, too. I just have never mastered that trick.
dan bombliss

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if we are talking about the same thing or not. I was just saying with a one piece mold (out of a solid, single piece of plywood or such) Can't come out after you put linings in both sides, as the mold has to slide through the ribs.

I'm building my cello with a breakaway mold, which comes apart inside of the ribs, so that even with linings on both sides, it will "collapse" if you will, and slip through.

I suppose this has tracked a bit off, which I'm sorry for, I had just meant to raise a brief awareness, but maybe I had iterated it poorly.

-Dan
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naw, you said it just fine-- yer just mistaken, that's all! Smile (Which is fine. I've been wrongly adamant about things before and was able to learn from someone who could show me different.)

But as far as removing a one-piece, solid mold after both the front and back linings are in place, YES! I have done it; Michael Darnton shows a series of photographs of himself doing it, and Henry Strobel advocates doing it that way. It definitely works. (It does require a fairly thin mold.)

How it works is that you:
1. Pop loose all the blocks from the mold, and trim them as much as is practical, before attempting to remove the mold. Then,
2. Gain some slack by flexing the center bouts outward a little. There is quite a bit of slack to be had in doing so.
3. Slip the upper bout off the mold, using the slack gained at the C-bouts, then
4. Work the slack down around the rib garland to complete the removal of the mold.

It isn't easy, but it does work. I just chose to do as you did and make collapsible molds. Lazy, I guess. Smile
dan bombliss

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whelp,

I sure do appreciate being corrected. Now I don't have to make a breakable mold for my violins (If I build anymore) Granted, I don't know if mine is too thick.

Thanks!
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Dan,

Frankly, I do not advocate doing it that way, because it really is easier your way.

There is such a thing as a "French" mold, however, which is thicker, and is used flush with the front of the ribs.

The back linings are installed and trimmed, the back plate installed, and then the mold is slipped out pretty easily, but the structure is already quite rigid, and it is easy to install the front linings, trim them, shape the blocks, clean up the inside, etc-- and then install the front plate.

I have done it that way, too, and it is a pretty fast way to work, but I guess I like the Italian style molds better.

Chet
ctviolin

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actonern wrote:
look carefully at the photos...

Very interesting...
Which show ONE method of doing something, that can be done correctly - one of SEVERAL (all different) ways.

Molds are a great example of this fact; where it can be easily shown that what holds true for one (compleatly correct) method, may well not be typical for the next (also compleatly correct) method..

Very often, there is more than just or simply, one way of "accomplishing" things, and very often, they can ALL work - and have specific advantages associated with the individual methods, that can cause an individual to choose one method over other mehods, and then to (very often) believe that THAT ONE particular method is, of course, the "correct or universal" method that shouldbe used...

With this site, since photos are not generally a powerfully or commonly used tool - showing an example of how and why what one is talking about is true, specifically, can be difficult or awkward - or perhaps simply isn't done, and instead of being SHOWN, the thing is described.

And as we all know, words often lack what can immediately be shown with a photo. "Oh yes, now I see!" may not happen that way.

Still, there are these different and yet all adequate ways of dealing with the ribs and the attached (or not) linings, and how they are associated with one or more specific mold type, or wth a specific methodology.

Last edited by ctviolin on Sun May 26, 2013 3:51 am; edited 3 times in total
dan bombliss

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys, I hadn't seen the link of the mold until now. Those photo's make sense, that is a much thinner mold than mine, which is why it had never seemed to be plausible.

Thanks for the info.
kjb

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone use outside moulds regularly?
actonern

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger Hargrave, in one of his many on line articles about the Cremonese working methods suggests that the reason the centre bout linings are mortised into the corner blocks is to help deal with the stress to the ribcage of removing it from these types of molds.

Interesting idea.

E
ctviolin

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kjb wrote:
does anyone use outside moulds regularly?

I'd like to know this also - I could never bring myself to try one - having been weened on the inside mold...

But I've heard some unexpected answeres to this question before, and would love to hear something firsthand about using them.
actonern

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too... I always imagined it would be more difficult to get corner tips to turn out well...
mikemolnar

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For removing the garland from the form, I use Darnton's technique and the procedure outlined by Bishop.

If you still have doubts whether their method will work for you, try this: Put in all the linings for the bottom side. For the top side put in the c-bout linings only. The remaining linings can be added after removal from the form.

Does anyone else have a comment about my original question regarding the issue of lining coverage of the ribs? I agree with Reedy, but wonder about acoustical effects. I suspect they are minimal.

Mike
mikemolnar

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: External Form Reply with quote

I made an external form years ago, nicknamed the Iron Maiden. (grins) However, it is unnecessary and cumbersome. As I said above, I use the standard internal form method.

One bit of advice is to make sure that your ribs are bent straight and not lop-sided. Lots of us think we do that, but a quick check with a square on a surface plate will tell the truth.

Mike
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, and it Realllly makes a difference when you try to close the corpus, if the ribs are all twisted. The first side goes on easily-- the second is impossible to line up correctly, as the ribs are now rigid--and crooked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: