Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are some good violin piano duets?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: What are some good violin piano duets? Reply with quote

As the title says Smile

I mean to be ambiguous with "good". Any genre/style will do, as long as the piano part is also interesting - i.e. it is more of a duo effort and not just violin melody with piano accompaniment.

As to level of difficulty... something challenging would be appreciated, but maybe not anything intensely virtuosic.

Thanks everyone!
gjk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: piano violin duets Reply with quote

Any church hymnal would work well and be readily available.
Becky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing that came to mind was Dvorak's 4 romantic pieces for violin and piano...I don't know if that's the style of level you're looking for, but you can check it out. Also, it seems like many of the companies that sell printed music have their catalogs arranged (or a search function) so it's easy to see all the violin and piano duets they offer. You could try looking for a composer you like.
sharl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dvorak eh? Yea, I'll look into that. Right now I'm doing Wieniawski's Romance and Rachmaninoff's Vocalise. They're both slowish, and that's cool too. But if there was something well 'put together' kind of ... like Bach's Double Concerto but for violin and piano.
yea, thanks!
Becky

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about how you want more interaction with the piano and how you want the piano to do more than just accompany. Have you thought of doing a violin solo piece with the orchestral part scored for piano? I heard a lot of great violin/piano "duets" like this during the recitals from other music majors (of course these were more difficult pieces too). I found myself getting caught up in listening to the piano part--it was wonderful!
Another idea is to find a violin concerto with the other part scored for piano. Some concerti will be what you're trying to avoid (a violin melody with piano accompaniment) but a concerto is supposed to be like a conversation going on between the solist and the ensemble/pianist so there are "solo" sections for both and lots of interaction.
With both possibilities I mentioned, you'll have to listen because there will obviously be some compositions that are what you're trying to avoid, but I also know there are some great ones like what you're looking for. Sorry I can't think of any composer names for this off hand. Listen and I'm sure you'll find something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: