Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sharpening...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DonLeister

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my version of Michael's system, his tool rest isn't straight at the wheel, it has a cutout where the tool rest goes up each side of the wheel an inch or two. I think Lee Valley or Veritas used to sell them.
That's pretty much everything, what you see there. Go from the grinder to the Japanese stone, it's really fast and a lot of control.

For scrapers I have a disc sander with a very fine psa disc on it with chrome oxide green compound with a 50 degree fixed rest on it and from that I go to the Japanese stone using a 45 degree wooden block you see in the picture so it only hones the leading edge.

kjb

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good idea cliff, I still am looking to better my gouge sharpening system.

Don nice setup, what is the width and grit of the stone you use?
I think I have the same tool rest
, from an old harbor freight wet stone system!
ctviolin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonLeister wrote:
This is my version of Michael's system, his tool rest isn't straight at the wheel, it has a cutout where the tool rest goes up each side of the wheel an inch or two. I think Lee Valley or Veritas used to sell them.
That's pretty much everything, what you see there. Go from the grinder to the Japanese stone, it's really fast and a lot of control.

For scrapers I have a disc sander with a very fine psa disc on it with chrome oxide green compound with a 50 degree fixed rest on it and from that I go to the Japanese stone using a 45 degree wooden block you see in the picture so it only hones the leading edge.

Wow, cool Don.

Now that I can post photos like a tall standing professional, I think I'll post something of my own sharpening method(s).

I must admit that I've looked around for years, for some sort of hand crank grinder like you have there, but I haven't found one yet - let me ask, is that your favorite piece of the sharpening tools?
Andres Sender

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctviolin wrote:
I've got to admit that I love that by-line (or whatever it's called) - it would make a great thread title.
Hang on, wait a minute - let me think about this... on the other hand - we might just wind up shooting each other!

Hey Craig, good point. Upon reflection I think I should find something else. Maybe I'll keep a glass of wine or cup of coffee in there. Wink
DonLeister

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to check the number on the wheel, it cuts fast and wears faster than what I see on run of the mill bench grinders.
I salvaged the tool rest from my old underpowered delta wet grinder. I found the grinder(s) at a flea market/junk store. I think most of them have small arbors so you have to make a bushing to get a wheel on there.

Yup, CT, the grinder works really well as long as you have a decent tool rest.
Credit goes to Mr. Darnton for sharing his set up years ago.
DonLeister

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what I have on my grinder. I think tihe letter I following the number 120 indicates the friability of the wheel which is important in that the wheel is not super hard and wears away faster than a hard one, but it exposed fresh sharp grit so it cuts quickly and so the tool does not get hot as easily.

kjb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks
John Schmidt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: My method for grinding a narrow blade Reply with quote

For grinding a 6 mm wide blade with a 20 degree or less point angle, I have found that I can attach the blade to a 5 foot wood stick. A steel post is in the lower end. This post sits in a hole in a plywood board on the floor. With this set-up, I can easily grind this blade. Of course the grind has a tiny arc, radius 5 ft. But this is not a problem. This knife is good for f-hole eyes and possibly bridge work. I use a green 60 grit Zirconia belt on my 1 x 30 belt grinder. If you are light on the pressure, the blade stays cool.

How do the rest of you grind this kind of narrow blade?

I developed my version of a honing jig which works very well. The basic idea is found here

The two circles are NIB magnets. A very short video of its use is here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zM9bZF1LR8
kjb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a short video is worth a thousand words thanks
John Schmidt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: knife jig update Reply with quote

Update on my sharpening discoveries -- not NEW discoveries for the world, but NEW TO ME:

I have spent more time with the sharpening jig and the 16,000 grit Shapton stone.

---- My sharpening standard on the "thread test" thread test is now 65 grams instead of the previous 75 grams. The thread is 40wt rayon. Steve Elliott changed, and therefore I followed suit.

---- After using the O-1 blade until somewhat dull, I can now re-hone with about 10 strokes on each side. This takes very little time, as required by you violin makers who are well-trained.

----- One does not need a microscope to see the edge. A good 10x loupe will work. But light and geometry are critical. I use a bright craft lamp, sitting on the table in front of me. The room is dimly lit, so that the under the table area, toward the floor, is relatively dark. Hold the loupe close to your eye and look at the edge. When you rotate the knife just right, you can just barely see the bright edge against the dark background.. If you now dull a section and look again, you will clearly see the difference between the sharp and dull section.

What's the advantage of a jig like this?

1. The exactness of the grind is much less critical. In fact, as long as the grind is below a certain angle, like 25 degrees, you can adjust the edge angle as you wish.

2. Less grinding skill is require for newbies to sharpening.

3. This jig really works!!!

BTW, I learned that before each use of the Shapton stone, it should be cleared of residue by wiping it with a 5 micron SiCarbide paper and washing in water.. Or another Shapton or Japanese stone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: