Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Peg Issue - Advice needed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
applecharlie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Peg Issue - Advice needed. Reply with quote

My violin is 10 years old, built and sold by a local reputable dealer and repairer - I would say its a beginner/immediate violin. Its definitely not a professional instrument.

The issue is that my pegs have become impossible to turn for me - others have tried and they have managed it though they reported that its not very smooth at times. I tried some peg paste and when this did not help me, I took the violin back to the dealer. He did some work on it and I had the violin back today.

Like a fool, I did not test it because the shop was very busy and only his "junior" was available who only had a vague idea what my issue had been.

On returning the instrument home, I have found that only the D string peg has been improved and now has the opposite problem - it slips constantly. The rest are still really hard for me to turn and when they do, they make a horrible cracking sound.

I do not want to return to this dealer with this issue. I had a very bad experience with him. I was also told that due to his workload that my violin cannot be re-looked at until mid September should there be any further issues.

The other thing is that with the D string peg, it comes out of the right hand side by about 2 cm (and the string still slips). The rest end at the edge of the peg box.

I have done a search in my local area and besides this dealer, there is nobody local that could examine/repair the violin.

What could I do myself to improve this issue?
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First... Find a reputable luthier ... let us know your locale and maybe we can direct you.
The real probelm usually is a poor fit between the peg and pegbox wall and that is why you need a luthier... to refit the pegs or install new ones.

Second, there are many ways to temporarily address slipping or tight pegs..all depends on your resources and personal handyman skills.... but here is what I would do if you do not have access to a real luthier:
Remove each peg, one at a time, and clean it thoroughly with rubbing alcohol, insert the peg back and twist it several times, remove and clean again... the object being to remove the build up of gunk. In the process be sure not get any of the alcohol anywhere near the violin because a simple splash or drip can ruin the violin finish in the blink of an eye. Dry the peg with a hair dryer, then when you turn the peg in the pegholes, it should be grippy... kind of squeaky clean. Then apply to the mating surface of the peg one of the following depending on what you have at hand to get rid of that grippy feel...
1- apply peg paste to peg extremely sparingly (start with one strip lengthwise on the peg), twist peg in holes. ( this comes in a tube like a lipstick tube), If it is too sticky, apply a touch more paste, if too slippery, a touch of rosin powder.

2-Apply peg dope to peg sparingly (this is a liquid & comes in a small bottle) twist peg in the holes and let dry (hair dryer will help). Twist peg in hole & repeat as necessary. This liquid is really a solution of rosin, glycerin and alcohol

3- If you have neither, use bar soap (one with out additives like Ivory) instead of the peg paste.
Hope this helps!...
Mat
applecharlie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply.

I had a closer look at my violin and found that only the D string peg had been worked on at all. Nothing had been done to the other three strings. Thankfully, I did not pay him for this "repair" work.

I'm pretty good with my Violin maintenance - the problem I think is that it has not coped well with the recent sudden changes in weather. Plus, if I can avoid paying someone that is a bonus as I'm currently between jobs. If need be, I have actually found another repairer close by.

Using your advice, I've now managed to get the tight pegs running a lot smoother than they were. I left the D out of the peg box for about an hour, it has tightened up slightly and does not slip.

My only issue now is that my E does slip but I think this is more the string than the peg. It coils in such as a way it is pulling. As a new string set is on its way to me, this shouldn't be to hard to sort.
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e string... is it the string that is slipping on the peg... ie pulling thru the hole in the peg, if so, be sure to wind the string so that there is a crossover after the first loop and then towards the pegbox wall. Normally it is not correct to cross over the string, but if the hole in the peg is too big and worn, the crossover will stop the slippage.
If it is the peg slipping in the peg box... then just a dab of rosin at both cheeks should work.
Good luck!.... Mat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: