Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New member interested in building

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Introduction, Rules and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josh Wydick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: New member interested in building Reply with quote

Hello!

I'm Josh Wydick. I am 18 and going into my last year of high school. With that said, I'm just trying to gather as much info as I can in career fields, paths and certain educations as I can.

I've spent the past 3 years apprenticing a guitar-maker. However, I am interested in building violins.

I'm looking at trying to make a violin this year to get my feet wet. Are there some books that could be recommended?

Thanks!
ctviolin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New member interested in building Reply with quote

Josh Wydick wrote:
Hello!

I'm looking at trying to make a violin this year to get my feet wet. Are there some books that could be recommended?

Thanks!

Hi Josh,

If you're just starting out and have budgetary considerations, I'd consider the Henry Strobel books - they are imminently affordable - and geared towards simple construction for the craftsman.
Then too, the information available online by our own Michael Darnton is quite invaluable, but perhaps a bit down the road...
http://darntonviolins.com/instruments.php
More detailed and comprehensive books are available - but may well be geared towards someone who has decided that they are going to be doing this for a living...
(Perhaps the Courtnall book..., it's a particular violin making book, that seems to be fairly popular - once you've gotten your feet wet, but it is sort of expensive for someone just thinking about this.)

Please keep us informed of any progress you make!

Thanks,
Craig Tucker
ctviolin
ctviolin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New member interested in building Reply with quote

ctviolin wrote:

Please keep us informed of any progress you make!

Thanks,
Craig Tucker
ctviolin

- just checking. Did you ever start, are you even there, or did a reality of the way the world works set in?

Just curious.

ct
Josh Wydick

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the midst of finishing a guitar build so I've been busy with that and I have another build I'm working on currently so the thought of building a violin isn't quite a priority (yet). Hopefully out of highschool I can give it a serious effort
ctviolin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh Wydick wrote:
I'm in the midst of finishing a guitar build so I've been busy with that and I have another build I'm working on currently so the thought of building a violin isn't quite a priority (yet). Hopefully out of highschool I can give it a serious effort

Well then;

You're a serious potential builder - and still in high school?

Finishing a guitar? You're getting involved in instrument building at a good age then. When you do end up giving it a serious effort, please come back here and let me (us) know - I'd love to see a serious first effort get under way.

And there are people here that would answer any questions that you might have

I'll admit it Josh, I didn't think I'd hear from you again... I couldn't have been more incorrect.

Pretty d@mn cool!

ct
ctviolin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctviolin wrote:

And there are people here that would answer any questions that you might have

I'll admit it Josh, I didn't think I'd hear from you again... I couldn't have been more incorrect.

ct

By the way Josh, did you ever get ahold of any building literature?

Perhaps the Henry Strobel book(s)?

ct
Josh Wydick

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a few of them online, I do intend to purchase a few to start getting an understanding of building and techniques used. I've also tried to do a few "set-up" type things on a violin I own, fitted a bridge, made a soundpost, cut the nut, was decent but by no means up to standards I'm sure.

Is there also a repair series of books to look into?

thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Introduction, Rules and Suggestions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: