Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Picture of the day
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks and you are welcome. The original Spanish Court viola has a lot of fine animal depictions on it. It's a beaut There are a few leopards, rabbits and some waterfowl in the ribs. When I started drawing out a pattern for mine, I had a hard time embracing the style that Stradivari went for as mine was not graceful as his was. Instead, mine made me think of a hunting lodge and so I canned that approach and went for what you see. I wanted it to be graceful without being something like a Disney film, in other words, I wanted to avoid "cute" like I want to avoid pink varnish.
Clifford Green

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the pictures and explanation of your excellent work. Do you think it would be possible to cut and apply the filigree after the ribs are bent, glued and lined?
Clifford Green

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of days ago Antonio submitted a picture of trimming linings. Occasionally, while doing the same task, especially when the ribs are still on the mold, I've scored the ribs with my knife point. To avoid this I altered a knife to have a rounded and polished tip.

[/img]
rs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome, Clifford. I kicked that around and opted against it. If I had done it that way, I would have made a thick mold that goes all the way behind the ribs. What cured me of the idea, however, was cutting some filigree (I like your word selection for that one!) for a guitar in situ to cover up a blister a few months ago. It was time intensive. Even when I bent the Hellier model I was much too tentative and pulled the turn of the scrolls about 10 mm short of the corners. The result required some cosmetics afterwards as the ribs now were too naked going into the corners. I would not hesitate to lay them out 4 or 5 mm from the corners and aggressively fit them as such. I cut the Spanish Court style viola just after this one, both were idle for a while, and was much more aggressive with the layout of the viola from my results with this violin, that is, already fitting the layout for the corners, mortise, end pin and upper rib taper. I like your knife idea, also.
Cliff Green

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I worry about cracking the upper C bout curve dry. I've been known to crack them even with a little water.
Did you cut each MOP lozenge? If so, that would be very time consuming going by the MOP I've cut. What if you painted the back of the MOP lozenges with white paint? That would probably kill the blue cast.
ollieken

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Hi Ct Reply with quote

Nice pic of the fox. You know what would make a nice pic. OLD CT feeding the little guys a nice steak you wont even have to cook it .
What do you think ??
Thanks For the info on bending I am going to drill holes in the molds that I have ,the metal strip is fixed on one end but you have to pull the other with a clamp . Now just have to wait for the steak feeding pic Ken
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ctviolin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clifford Green wrote:
A couple of days ago Antonio submitted a picture of trimming linings. Occasionally, while doing the same task, especially when the ribs are still on the mold, I've scored the ribs with my knife point. To avoid this I altered a knife to have a rounded and polished tip.

[/img]

Clifford,

I must say; this is a great idea, and one I've never thought of, even though as I trim the linings on my ribs the point of my knife puts score marks on the inside of the ribs... but no more, because I'm making one of my knives like this.

Many thanks Clifford... and - great idea!
Andres Sender

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess since it's shaping up a little slow today I'll throw these up:

I have been trying to organize the outlines of Del Gesu's violins into some sort of pattern. The first step was to see if I could reduce the number of instruments to consider by grouping some together as essentially the same. Even making allowances for garlands being off the mold it is remarkable to me how much variation there is in the 25 instruments in the Biddulph book.

This is an illustrative segment of one set I was able to consider as essentially 'the same': Plowden, D'Egville, King Joseph:

Also I have been rebooting my tools a bit, picked up some cast steel gouges in sizes and sweeps more in line with what Michael D. recommends:

ctviolin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andres Sender wrote:
I guess since it's shaping up a little slow today I'll throw these up:

I have been trying to organize the outlines of Del Gesu's violins into some sort of pattern. The first step was to see if I could reduce the number of instruments to consider by grouping some together as essentially the same. Even making allowances for garlands being off the mold it is remarkable to me how much variation there is in the 25 instruments in the Biddulph book.

This is an illustrative segment of one set I was able to consider as essentially 'the same': Plowden, D'Egville, King Joseph:

Also I have been rebooting my tools a bit, picked up some cast steel gouges in sizes and sweeps more in line with what Michael D. recommends:

Andres,

Thanks - nice edge-work comparisons, I would expect as much variation in execution - considering the amount of variation that is natural to working in wood. The variation seems within "normal" limits, working with a particular design element... interesting.

I like your photo of working tools but have to ask - what are those odd looking obvious antique, pointing devices?

Inquiring minds want to know. (?)
Andres Sender

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old machinist's surface gauges, the alternative to a ruler or dividers for finding and tracking center points in setup and neck setting, thanks again to Michael.

Your violins will of course come out better the older and cooler your tools are... :-}

Now what I REALLY need is one of these:

http://tinyurl.com/l56o2lp
ctviolin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andres Sender wrote:

Your violins will of course come out better the older and cooler your tools are... :-}

Yes, I believe that you're exactly right on that point. Either older, or better in some way (that would be the cooler part!). I have some tools that are dedicated to certain functions, that are completely in the cool department.

Older? well I've got a couple of those too, but not as many as I would like to have ...

photo to follow.
ctviolin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctviolin wrote:

photo to follow.

I cannot remember the Maestronet member who made these, but when he made them he had a post about them, and I asked about buying one.

Well, he made me one and sold it to me.

It has become one of my favorite tools. When I purfle a plate I purfle fairly tight. this tool pushes the purfling in fully. There is no other tool that does the job as well.

I love it.

I wish I could remember the makers name...
ctviolin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a modern tool that I cannot think of a antique equal for, exactly.

Another tool could be used, but probably it's not really designed exactly for the job, while this tool was designed with one function in mind.
Either way - what a cool thing this tool is.

Is this a weird way to think, or do any other people out there have a similar affection for some of their possessions?
Inquiring (but twisted) minds want to know.
ctviolin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, sorry, I just wanted four posts in a row.
Bad habit, I know, but there you go.
Mikes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made these this knife handles this week end for my new knives. I purchased Hock knives. One is for bridge work and the other a general utility knife. I been wanting these for a while!

[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 3 of 24

Jump to: