Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Picture of the day
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kjb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it the ball end that pushes the purfling in and the other side is the handle, what are the two holes for, or am I missing the whole concept here?
DonLeister

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andres, that's a cool tool!

I just saw this this morning-
ctviolin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kjb wrote:
is it the ball end that pushes the purfling in and the other side is the handle, what are the two holes for, or am I missing the whole concept here?

The ball end does not roll, it is solid and is the end that I use to embed the purfling once it is generally put in place.

The purfling does not generally seat itself well on the bottom of the groove, but needs some coaxing. This tool is a great coaxer.

The handle has those holes in it since I got it. I use the one near the end to hang it near where I work, on the wall with the peg board that holds the rest of my tools.

See?
ctviolin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikes wrote:

I made these this knife handles this week end for my new knives. I purchased Hock knives. One is for bridge work and the other a general utility knife. I been wanting these for a while!

Yes, knives made for a specific use or method.

Very cool.

I have a few of those too, and I just altered one for use as a lining trimming knife, as another poster here recently showed, by taking the sharp end off!
ctviolin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctviolin wrote:

I have a few of those too, and I just altered one for use as a lining trimming knife, as another poster here recently showed, by taking the sharp end off!

Who'd have thunk it?
ctviolin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here's four in a row again...

(I'm off to work in the shop.)
Ken Pollard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctviolin wrote:

....When I purfle a plate I purfle fairly tight. this tool pushes the purfling in fully. There is no other tool that does the job as well.

I love it.

I wish I could remember the makers name...

I know this is really a viola tool, but I use the rounded end on it to push in purfling on violins.

Very Happy Actually, I do. I found this ballpeen alongside the road one day about 35 years ago, and it's been a good tool for a variety of uses. Just the right size for popping a plate loose, too. Though I use a block of wood between it and the plate.
ctviolin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken Pollard wrote:

I know this is really a viola tool, but I use the rounded end on it to push in purfling on violins.

Very Happy Actually, I do. I found this ballpeen alongside the road one day about 35 years ago, and it's been a good tool for a variety of uses. Just the right size for popping a plate loose, too. Though I use a block of wood between it and the plate.

Sweet.

Ok, I stand in awe of the functionality of that ball peen hammer. I've got one very close to what you have (without the wonderful history though) and I'll admit that I never thought to use the peen end for purfling...

Goes to show what shallow thinking (I'll admit to this problem - often) will do to one. (notice that I said "to one" in place of saying "to me" ?)
fjodor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice knife handles, Mike!

Here are some recent pictures:

I use a ruler to shape the long arch of the back

Purfling channel on the way:

Planing the front to thickness(about 15mm high):

Marking the edge thickness of the front:
[/img]
Ken Pollard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctviolin wrote:

Sweet.

Ok, I stand in awe of the functionality of that ball peen hammer. I've got one very close to what you have (without the wonderful history though) and I'll admit that I never thought to use the peen end for purfling...

Goes to show what shallow thinking (I'll admit to this problem - often) will do to one. (notice that I said "to one" in place of saying "to me" ?)

Heck, I'm just cheap. I forgot to add a scale to the photo. It is a rather small hammer. The head is a bit longer than 2-1/2 inches (a bit more than 6.5 cm) and the handle is 10-1/2" overall (about 26-1/2 cm). Fairly light.

Fjodor -- great photos.
Ken Pollard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andres Sender wrote:

Now what I REALLY need is one of these:

http://tinyurl.com/l56o2lp

Andres, how do you find these cool sites? It's been fun touring through, though I have to admit to a feeling like a bit of a tool-lout. Then I saw this one, and suddenly felt better -- http://catalogue.museogalileo.it/object/ModelCycloid.html

Thanks -- many cool photos ...
okawbow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken Pollard wrote:
ctviolin wrote:

Sweet.

Heck, I'm just cheap. I forgot to add a scale to the photo. It is a rather small hammer. The head is a bit longer than 2-1/2 inches (a bit more than 6.5 cm) and the handle is 10-1/2" overall (about 26-1/2 cm). Fairly light.

Fjodor -- great photos.

I use one just like it, for lots of things in violin making. I have smoothed and polished both ends of the steel head, as well as the butt of the handle. Couldn't build without it.
Andres Sender

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken--obsession. I got interested in very early drafting tools for a while and searched high and low for info.

You might have fun also checking out the very early navigational instruments this guy replicates:

http://www.dehilster.info/
Cliff Green

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Q Reply with quote

Fjodor,
I love your moticeing marker. My grandfather, who was an old school carpenter, had one of those that got away from me. Fortunately, I still have his combination plane and some of his wooden moulding planes
ctviolin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fjodor wrote:

Here are some recent pictures:

fjodor,
I must say I'm really "grippped", in a manor of speaking, by your violin making photos.

Very nice photos. In particular, I'm very impressed with the one showing the corner work, and purfling grooves made with the purfling marker.

ct
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 4 of 24

Jump to: