Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Art of Bow Restoration - good investment?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: The Art of Bow Restoration - good investment? Reply with quote

I am considering the purchase of this book...
The Art of Bow Restoration
By Joseph Regh, library 1st edition, 2010
https://www.violins.ca/books/books_violin_making_restoration.html
Has any one bought or seen this book?... Is it worth the $500 investment?
Opinions?
Thanks, Mat
Ed Shillitoe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen it but I don't have a copy. It is good but it is expensive. I think the best return on investment is to spend a week at a bow making or bow rehairing class - you get to see things in three dimensions and get critiques of your own work. If you are careful to be seated next to a professional maker (and some do take these classes repeatedly) you will learn twice as much! And you get to know the other people in the field which can be worth a huge amount. When you run into trouble in the future you just pick up the phone and they'll be happy to chat.

Of course the classes cost twice as much but then you learn twice as much!
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ed... My problem is that I just can't get the time to get away to these courses... as much as I would love to.
So the second best is to get the best books...
Cheers, Mat
whatwasithinking

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen it, but don't have it. Have heard mixed reviews. You might want to consider the IPCI books--a set of three. Third volume devoted to bow repairs, filled with articles by renowned makers. Highly recommended. Pricey, though. http://www.ipci-canada.org/

Yes, the frog and bow making workshops are great.
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwit... thanks, I'd love the IPCI set but at $1400 ... a little steep for me... unless you or someone wanting to unload?
Cheers, Mat
tomigv

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Bowmaking Reply with quote

Just wanted to put my 2 cents in. I/ve studied with several prominent bowmakers.My spin is that , even though you take a class there is nothing like practicing and bending stock using inexpensive materials, and lots of patience.Before one arrives. Enjoy the journey
SooT

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatwasithinking wrote:
You might want to consider the IPCI books--a set of three. Third volume devoted to bow repairs, filled with articles by renowned makers. Highly recommended. Pricey, though. http://www.ipci-canada.org/

I've seen the book, decided not to purchase it, but really like the IPCI books. Taking courses is the best thing though, you really have people on the end of a phone, or email, when you get stuck, it has been very valuable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: