Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Picture of the day
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kjb

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good idea thanks for the pics
ctviolin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonLeister wrote:
I often study the messiah strad poster when I am doing corners. I place circles on the poster as my reference. Not that I see perfect circles at the corners but they are very close and will show what isn't a circle.
Of course just setting a plate on the poster says a lot also.

Hey Don,

I'm presently using that poster to make a mold, so I can attempt to use that violin as a model to copy.

Beyond such an activity, I do not believe that there is much, other than attempting to make a violin look as close to the outline and photographed surface as possible, that will be accomplished, tone wise. That it will not be a Strad, and will not act in the mannor of a Strad, is a given. That it is constructed on such a model, and after the depiction shown on the poster, is only a convenience for me and for any other modern maker, using the poster today.
Really, we might as well construct a violin on an outline of our own design, for the quality of sound expected...

So I am assuming that we copy such things for our own satisfaction, seeing if we can, at the least, copy the artistic (outward) qualities of the worlds most desired violins.

So, in conclusion, I must also believe that what makes these violins that we copy so attractive to the greatest players (and collectors) in the world, is a quality that we will not capture regardless of the look, or design, that we're copying - right?

That makes what we do in the constructive process, interesting, because it will be judged on the merits of violins that are made today - a separate category, really, from violins made in that "Golden Period".
I wonder, what the REAL components are, that separate any modern instrument from any other modern instrument? And how are those differences REALLY discerned? Is it the fact that only players, very discriminating players, will be able to choose or determine such differences, and that such differences are going to be determined by a superior sound or tone? Or, are they really attracted and will choose by looks that captivate them? Perhaps it is that there must be a combination of these qualities present?

Having been on other on-line sites (some of them very technically oriented (and with, ahem..., "world class" theorists present) it still remains somewhat of a mystery to me, and I suppose EVERYONE else. There have been many makers and even theorists on board elsewhere, and it seems that all we really ALL do, is guess and propose different ideas about such things.

Just thinking out loud.

I know what I do. I try to get the best look and sound I can, today, in the real and actual world.
What else is there for any violin maker today?
There is not much of anything else, is there?
ctviolin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctviolin wrote:

Just thinking out loud.

I know what I do. I try to get the best look and sound I can, today, in the real and actual world.
What else is there for any violin maker today?
There is not much of anything else, is there?

I suppose that the point I'm hedging around, and not exactly stating, is that (I believe) that most people in the world, who PLAY the violin professionally (no matter how advanced) won't really be able to identify the model of violin they're using or choosing - other than generally if at all - other than what the seller tells them, that is. I believe it is the people who make violins that "stick" on such things.

Other than the 'general looks' and finish of the violin. Which must appear 'correct' in the generally expected (and detailed) mannor, regardless.

?
kjb

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, from my limited experience I see the general form of the violin, with a whole lot of variations that are mostly too subtle if you are not looking at them.
I suppose a lot of people pick ones instrument by feel, sound, or looks or how much it cost.

and it seems to me like you there is an awful lot of speculation and making a mountain out of a mole hill.

after consulting and reading it seems like it mostly comes down to a whole lot of common sense, more than mystery.

I am sure there are people and the golden guys probably were of such ilk that they had a gut feeling after a lot of trial and error.

at this point i am mostly trial and error.

the biggest thing I learned from this last one is not to be in a rush because just by accident it may turn out good and you have to look at all your mistakes, but I can live with that for now, hopefully I can make one that sounds as good or better in the future!
ctviolin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear, I'm not addicted...

Well, perhaps I am after all, weird huh?
SooT

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's some workshop CT
Jack Rushing

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig,
This workplace is too neat and tidy.!!!! Makes mine look like the city dump.
Where is the beer cooler?
ctviolin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SooT wrote:
That's some workshop CT

Honestly?

It's been growing along with my violin addiction, for about twenty five years now. I used to go to the Adult Center here in Roswell for the power tools, but soon bought my own.
Not shown in the outside shop, is the other bench where the plainer and the grinder are - also not shown is the wood loft...

So, even though I consider myself quite the amateur - I am equipped.

Last edited by ctviolin on Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
ctviolin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Rushing wrote:
Craig,
This workplace is too neat and tidy.!!!! Makes mine look like the city dump.
Where is the beer cooler?

Jack my friend! It's been a while since I've seen you around - how are you?
You know something, my shop really is too neat and tidy as of late, I really do need to get into something messy, as Soo T has already noticed - but I didn't mention to Soo T, that what wasn't shown in the photo, also, was THE COOLER ... (or the Guinness Extra Stout's!)

How did you know about that, Jack?

(photos to follow)
SooT

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctviolin wrote:
(or the Guinness Extra Stout's!)

Ah, a man after my Hubby's heart. His favourite beer. Did you know that way back when in the 40's that beer was prescribed to pregnant women as it is high in iron? A useless fact. Razz
ctviolin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kjb wrote:

the biggest thing I learned from this last one is not to be in a rush because just by accident it may turn out good and you have to look at all your mistakes, but I can live with that for now, hopefully I can make one that sounds as good or better in the future!

Well, I agree that you must not be in a rush with your thinking or your building, otherwise you'll miss the thing that you did, (finally), that resulted in a superior sound...

Which, is usually not really an accident, but is the fact that the act of actually building (most usually over and over again) - will lead one into, eventually, what leads to the better or superior tone one is seeking...

And I will add that, in my opinion it's never a 'great thing', but a thing stumbled upon simply by thinking and building.

Other opinions welcome. In fact other opinions necessary. I don't want to sound like the only one putting forth opinions about such things. It's lonely out here.
ctviolin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SooT wrote:
ctviolin wrote:
(or the Guinness Extra Stout's!)

Ah, a man after my Hubby's heart. His favourite beer. Did you know that way back when in the 40's that beer was prescribed to pregnant women as it is high in iron? A useless fact. Razz

Really, honestly, a useful fact indeed; that's the only reason why I would drink such a thing as Guinness Extra Stout, it has nothing to do with it's coincidentally wonderful flavor, when it is served icy cold on a Roswell 110 degree hot summer day... - it's the healthful qualities only - that's the only reason why I might imbibe even a singular bottle.

Am I right about this?
ctviolin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctviolin wrote:

Am I right about this?

Ok... let me think about that for a while...
DonLeister

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig, I did notice that you are doing the messiah strad. I agree with what you are saying about modeling from a poster.
It is good information but pretty limited as I am sure you realize.
I look forward to seeing your work.

I think I have found a good size gouge for roughing out plates, I just need a longer handle for it. That and something to sheild that lamp cord before a mishap-pens!

Mikes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a bridge I did over the weekend for a local fiddler.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 8 of 24

Jump to: