Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thicknessing ribs with jointer or planer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windbag

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Thicknessing ribs with jointer or planer Reply with quote

This is my first post and I am about to start (hopefully) my first violin. I ordered some wood and the ribs arrived at 5mm thickness. I read that the ideal thickness should be 1.2 mm. I own both a jointer and a planer. I am wondering if it is wise to put a non slip surface between the 5mm maple ribs and a piece of scrap and try to use the jointer to bring the thickness down to 2mm. After that use a scraper to get the final thickness.

Any words of advice?

thanks
Randy
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite honestly, that sounds (a) dangerous, and (b) like a good way to ruin the rib, especially highly figured wood.

I do use an oscillating spindle sander to "pre-thickness" my ribs, after cutting them out on the bandsaw (sorry, to all you "no-power-tools" adherents), and get them within 0.1-0.2mm of my goal (BTW, I want mine at 1.0mm), then finish with a scraper, to get the sanding marks out.

I made a fixture to clamp on my spindle sander, that allows me to make minute adjustments to thickness as I work, and it does the job pretty well. Here is the fixture (bitmap sketch):

When I make a cello or bass, I have to resort to a larger tool. My son has an abrasive thickness-planer, 24" wide, and it works well for that.
kjb

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

definitely not either as chet says

if you can find a friend with a thickness sander that works very well.
not sure where you are from, but there may be workshops in the area that you could access.

I did my first one like that with just scrapers that were not all that sharp, it takes a loooooong time. good luck, you should have a lot of fun !!
Cliff Green

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Chet and kjb. If you use a planer on wood thinner than 2 or 3 mm with any flame you will end up with splinters and will probably have tear out on thicker stock. You could use a block plane. If you find that your wood is chipping out try putting a steeper angle on the cutting edge so that it works more like a scraper. While the wood is thicker you could use double stick tape on a flat surface so you can plane the whole surface in a pass. Switch to a scraper when you get thin. Of course you will have to un stick to measure thickness.
Check out Michael Darnton's pictorial of making a viola at www.darntonviolins.com

I have a very nice Inca planer that leaves a no sanding surface and I have had success on figured maple running at an angle to the flames, but I would not try it on thinner stock. It works great for squaring up neck blocks and initial plate flattening. For ribs I have also used sanding drums on a drill press and that works well with many passes. A plane for me is faster if you have a very sharp blade and reasonable technique.
windbag

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. It looks like I will put the jointer on the backburner for a while

Randy
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it matters, the jig I sketched above is very easy to build-- it is just three pieces of plywood, one hinge, and three bolts, essentially. You could easily build it in an hour. I didn't show it in the sketch, but you might add some bracing to maintain the 90 degree relationship between the horizontal piece and the stationary upright piece.

You clamp the one horizontal piece to the table of the spindle sander (or a drum-sander on a drill press), and adjust the hinged piece to the desired clearance from the drum.

Run a pass to check, and use calipers of some sort to see what effect you had. Then tighten the bolts just a little and have another go at it. Eventually you learn just about what fraction of a turn on the bolts makes what fraction of a millimeter change in the thickness of the ribs. After that it is smooth sailing.

Last edited by Chet Bishop on Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Cliff Green

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chet
I like your jig. When I tried drum sanding I used a piece of square stock as a fence clamped to the table and beat on it for setting the thickness. Your method is much more elegant.
Do you have any problem with the oscillating sander being square to the table or run out on the spindle?
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, originally I was worried about that, and checked for square over and over. I finally realized that it was always square, and quit checking.

The jig is much more likely to flex than the sanding spindle is, so I simply use a vernier caliper to chack the thickness of the ribs as I process them, and turn them frequently, to make sure they have been sanded on each side, and from each edge, to avoid any possible wane or taper being established.

I've been pretty happy with it.
kjb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how thin do you make them before you go to the scraper?
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kjb wrote:
how thin do you make them before you go to the scraper?

The ones I did yesterday, the scraping only removed less than 0.1mm. I left one at 1 mm, another at 1.15...no biggie. They are easier to bend if they are thinner, though...and I think it helps the sound as well. I usually try for 1mm exactly, when a rib is done. (for violins, obviously...)
actonern

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a table saw?

It's more wasteful of material, but a properly set up blade will produce rib stock that needs very little additional finishing...
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure who you were asking...but no, I don't have one. My son's table saw does what you say, but it does waste a lot of material. I use the bandsaw with the fence, and get good results.
actonern

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, not you Chet... the OP...

I agree, the table saw is more wasteful...
kubasa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be starting this process again. I'm probably sick in the head but I love planing ribs with a toothed blade. I'll have to maybe try the double stick tape so I don't have to rotate the wood around. That's a good idea!

James

shaunfosdick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had good luck on the tablesaw with Diablo thin kerf circular saw blades, the 7 1/4" ones can just do a viola rib. It eats up just a little more stock than the bandsaw but needs very little cleanup.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: