Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

blackgoldfish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jessupe goldastini

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:31 am    Post subject: blackgoldfish Reply with quote

so for the few of you that may be interested in my experimental progress...

primarily i would like to talk about my black goldfish violin...

it is the one furthest down on my gallery...

like it or not it has some amazing properties to it, i feel based on the design and shape...

1. it is a standard 4/4 length from block to saddle, however as is obvious its quite a bit bigger body wise...

things this seems to do are...

loud....SUPER LOUD...not just under the ear....it carries far and away....

re-verb....big time....staccato strikes will leave it ringing quite some time after the "hit" is struck....

also while hanging, a hand clap from 25 feet away! will set it to ringing...

regardless of what string, even a depressed note on the e string will "ring"....

2. the scroll that is not that visible in the photo has 6 large holes cored out of a squarish ball....once hollowed out it forms a lattice shell with wood about 3/16" in thickness....

now for quite some time i was under the impression that a scroll would have not much to do with the overall tone...

i believe this design or concept changes my mind regarding that.

the "ball" acts like a megaphone and generates noticeable volume from its region, it almost gives a "delay" like reaction ....whereas the body of volume comes from the body through the "f/a" holes {my own design} there is a "tin can phone" reaction to the ball, which then eminates sound a micro second after the body sound, sounds, kinda like a tuning fork

by putting it to your ear and having someone play it, there is noticeable volume emanating from it....quite different than a standard scroll

3. the cut out in the bottom that gives it its extra large size also acts as a chin/shoulder rest....i will improve this by carving in convex bumps....as i feel "rigging" shoulder and chin rests KILL TONE....why spend tons of time getting a fiddle to sound good,only to stick rigs with sound deadening rubber and cork on them...they do change violins tone...

4. the F/A holes, creating your own sound hole design is not as easy as it seems....but i feel my holes are just as good if not better sounding than standard holes....to achieve a stable shape that will allow for sound post setting is not as easy as it seems....

and finally the peace de resistance' is that on every violin i make, as i have decided to not make "Amati" style violins, i write "f' Amati" {pg version} on the back of the top plate, and that way when you look at my violins upside down you will see two guys leaning back taking a leak.....haaahahhaaaaaaaaaaa

blasphemy i tell you........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: