Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which rasps for bow head shaping

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wm_crash

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Which rasps for bow head shaping Reply with quote

Howdy,

I'd like to know which rasps I should buy for shaping the head of violin bows. I've taken a break from my attempts at a bow and I need to get back into it, but don't want to be held back by less than perfect tooling. I am looking at Auriou rasps via Lie-Nielsen but there is too much choice. In general I don't mind buying one of everything and finding out, but I'd rather not do this with Auriou rasps for the obvious reason.

cheers,
wm_crash, the friendly hooligan
whatwasithinking

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed posted something about rasps a while back. I followed his advice and got a set from Garrett Wade.

I'm also saving up for some of these.

The Pechar rasps are not as dear as Auriou, but highly regarded.
whatwasithinking

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Or a Liogier Reply with quote

I'll have to admit that after watching Liogier's video about rasp making, I wouldn't mind ordering one of theirs! The skill and effort involved in making a single rasp seems quite impressive.
wm_crash

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If trying to save a little, you may consider these:

http://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/files_rasps.htm

Short story, Auriou went bankrupt and closed a while back. The people who used to work for Auriou continued to make rasps, not sure how and where, but their work is available via thebestthings.

cheers,
seammc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: other file aplications Reply with quote

if you don't have a bow plane, the curved tooth vixen files work well on bow woods.

amazon sells them for $25 or less... chip breaking feature not important but nice and should last for ever on wood

years ago one could send them out to be resharpened ...now I don't know..

Any file can be resharpened or cleaned with citric acid at home...about a 3 day soak @ about 1 pound to a gallon of water

This is a nonfuming acid, safe to use, and dispose of.

jim
wm_crash

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those almost look like the Iwasaki files. I like them a lot. I have a bunch of planes, though I still need a high angle / scraper plane. My issues are mostly around the curved parts below the tip where you can't reach with a plane. I watched the JJ Augagneur vid and he uses first a knife (the dude has skills) and then a half round rasp.

cheers,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: