Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Verdi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Two questions Reply with quote

Hi, I'm checking back already.

what kind of strings should I get? I'm getting it restrung first. I took it to the music store where I bought it and the clerk said my bow is fine but strings would help the sound. So which strings should I buy? I want a professional level, a rich, dark, silky sound.

They also adjusted the bridge and told me I was tightening my bow too tight, and he adjusted the Kun shoulder rest and tightened the chin rest. All for free. Oh, and I'm getting the block rosin.

And question number 2: What do you think about fein Violins online? I can get a Costa violin, a free pernambuco bow, and free really nice case, all for $1700. Is that a good deal?

Thanks and happy Monday Very Happy
Shirley

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again, Verdi!

You found a nice shop. They are certainly out to help you!

Strings: Try Dominants. They are the "standard" by which other strings, for various reasons, are rated (not just quality). The quality is fine, and would perhaps work best on your current violin, as you have described it. After you get a different violin, you may want to experiment a bit, and try different strings. Evah Perrazi (spelling??) are a big favorite.

Fein violins: My neice just bought a viola from them through the web, and is pleased with it. They gave her very personal service, and she felt confident dealing with them.

You know, of course, that Leif Luscombe, who sponsors this site, is also a web seller? And Stringworks, too, has a good reputation (though my only two experiences with them were not of the best - that does not mean that they are not very good.)

You go, girl!!

Shirley
Shirley

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. Verdi - many people swear by the Gliga violin, a avalue-priced violin, too, if you are interested in getting a new violin. I'm sorry I don't have an address to give you here. Shirley
Jack Rushing

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Verdi,

Shirley is right.!!! The Dominants are a great string. Please give them a
couple of weeks to break in, and they will continue to improve until they
start wearing out. At least, that is my experience.

If you would like a string with a softer, silkier tone, try Violinos by Pirastro.

p.s. I receive no compensation whatsoever from Thomastik or Pirastro for
endorsing their products.
Leif Luscombe
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dominants will yield a darker, somewhat more aggressive tone than Pirastro Violino, which are smoother and softer. Both respond really well under the bow.

These are the two strings I use the most, depending on a musician's taste, or the temper of the instrument. Overall, I have a personal leaning toward the more refined sound of the Pirastros, but some instruments, and violinists, prefer Dominant.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: