Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bow profile observation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seammc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Bow profile observation Reply with quote

I have a bow that came out of Czechoslovakia (1930's vintage) that has a reverse taper up towards the frog. It is a fantastic bow

If any one would like to explore the little reverse taper to see what it does .. (about an hour at most)

. take a bow that is not important to you (mine was a 15$ beginners bow) and remember that it will be changed fore ever

Measure the diameter at 10 inches from the in side of the tip

scrape the diameter at the 19 inch point to the diameter measured at the 10 inch point (A little fat won't hurt)

from the 15 inch point reduce the diameter to the 19 inch point with a nice transition similar to the other end

from the 19 inch point make a smooth transition towards the frog (about 3 inches) back to the bow size

put the bow to violin to see what happened
I think you will find that the bow now vibrates as does the violin

The above is pretty radical (and some what arbitrary) but there is a point to be made, and that is that the muting properties have been changed ...

go to far, the sound will tend to be earthy, something which only a gypsy could love ... and of course, that I did to see what happens

The bow that I just modified was about the saddest statement on bow making ever. The wood is a dirty blond color, no definable grain, but would make a noise at least, and would shoot a soda straw across the room ... Now it works on my good violin ..not all that bad ...legatos are good, grace notes are great, and sound is a little dark because I over did it

Jim
seammc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: poor performing (cheap?) bows Reply with quote

Can any one verify this

Re; bow curve: I have noticed that the better bows have the apex on the tip side of center where as the poor performers the apex tend to be back from the center and towards the frog ..

.could be all wet, but I don't think so ..

or maybe its just a china thing

Jim
JG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: poor performing (cheap?) bows Reply with quote

seammc wrote:

Re; bow curve: I have noticed that the better bows have the apex on the tip side of center where as the poor performers the apex tend to be back from the center and towards the frog ..

Is this of matter of better and worse bows, or more one of period and style? I thought Tourte centered the camber along the stick, but later 19th century makers moved it towards the tip for better strength, but at a cost for legato playing. Not sure who if anyone still builds a classic Tourte model though.
seammc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re:bow apex variation Reply with quote

better and worse bows and worse is usually super cheap and my bows fall into both categories 3 horrible -3 fairly good ,and 1 super good ..just a collection from over the years and they all fit the apex observation ..none have the apex dead in the middle

Jim
seammc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re:bow apex variation Reply with quote

The number of bows that I have is not a large enough sampling to draw a conclusion but there is a cloud of suspicion

I do find Tourte's center apex interesting and will one day pursue it I like whole bow legatos.

Jim
JG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the question of the musical behaviour of different bow designs, I just came across this article on the website of a Texas maker:

http://www.ervinviolins.com/tourte_bows.shtml

The writer is promoting the Tourte model over subsequent models in which the camber is differently executed. If the claims made here are true, it's hard to see why anyone other than a virtuoso soloist would want a modern bow. Then again, these claims may be no more than reckless hype. No photos or other information are given for the maker's own bows.

I imagine the real situation is less black-and-white than this advertising material suggests. It wouldn't surprise me if current makers use all available design ideas in building to suit a given player or class of players (for example students, orchestra players, soloists). I wonder if any bowmakers here would care to offer comments on the practical differences for musicians between the Tourte design and more recent models. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: