Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Silversmithing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wm_crash

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Silversmithing Reply with quote

Howdy,

I have a few more questions for the folks here that make their own silver parts for frogs. Is there a place where I can buy the dies to shape underslides and ferrules?

So far the only option I've seen for underslides is on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181411528339?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The only problem I'd have with that is the guy told me the spacing in there is 11mm. That's a bit much for a violin, even if we assume some of that will be taken by the actual thickness of the silver sheet. He said that's how some bow making company had him make them, so there may be something to it. Maybe the slanted sides are longer than needed for the bow, and that makes the die seem to make a wider underslide than actually does.

As far as ferrule shaping, I am out of leads.

Unfortunately, Karl Gabosh is no longer making tools: http://members.logical.net/~klg/

My plan B would be to actually make something out of a very hard wood, like wamara.

cheers,
wm_crash, the friendly hooligan
whatwasithinking

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynn Hannnings sells both the underslide formers and ferrule formers for violin/viola, cello, and bass. I've also made underslides from thin carbon fiber, which is actually stronger than the thin silver normally used. You can buy .2mm thick sheets of it, and it's easy to cut and file to shape. Of course, this may not be what a customer wants!
wm_crash

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the one place I hadn't looked! Thanks much. And all sizes are there, awesome! Gonna be a lot of underslides and ferrules before I break even vs. buying the parts pre made Smile

cheers,
wm_crash, the friendly hooligan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: