Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bass Bow rescue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stephen F.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Bass Bow rescue Reply with quote

Hi,
I've not posted here before, but I've lurked for a some time.
I have a bass bow that I made in 1999 and it has a a few issues I would finally like to sort out perhaps you can help.

It is a transitional bow which is is copy of a Papa Tourte. The main problem is the fit of the frog. I tried to rework it a few years ago, but I was distracted and took off too much material from the stick. I put the bow away until I could focus on it, that time has come. Now I think I may have graft some wood back on the stick to get the frog to fit, I need so help determining how to do that.

Is there someone who can help with this? I have photos of the bow, but I don't see how to post them.
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To post a photo, use a service like photo bucket and paste the link they create into your discussion.
http://photobucket.com
Hope it works and that we can assist. Depending on where you took too much off, and whether you want a metal liner or not, consider the possibility of reworking the frog
Cheers, Mat
Stephen F.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the area under the frog. I don't think a metal lining on this type of bow is proper. And I don't want to change the frog dimensions or radically alter it.

http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/Stephen_Faulk/media/bassbowproblem_zpsfc1b653b.jpg.html?&_suid=140315840344503632737740408629
whatwasithinking

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Mat has it right. The simplest fix is reworking the frog. Since you don't want to add an underslide, you could mix some fine sawdust with either CA or G2 epoxy, and build up the surface of the frog. Then refit the frog to the stick. This could make for a nearly invisible repair.
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really can't tell the fit from the pic... can you take a shot directly from the end of the stick to show how the facets of the stick fit the frog?
Which facet of the stick ... top or which side or both sides was reduced too much? by how much?
If you accurately draw the stick and frog fit on paper you should be able to see where it is easiest to add... stick or frog.
Perhaps you could reshape the facets of the stick to make it fit... if there is still enough wood.
I would be reluctant to laminate wood to the stick because of the thinness of the laminate and exposed glue lines.
Cheers, Mat
Stephen F.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The facets are to far gone and I'm not touching the frog because if the bow is a wash I'm not going to ruin the frog, I'd rather make another stick.

What I was aiming for is the type of stick repair where you make a long scarf joint under the wrapping and then rework the heel of the bow. But I wanted see if there where other options. It has to be professional level repair or none at all.
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only choice then is to graft a new butt to the bow.
You can use 3 methods... single surface splice , or wedge splice or dowel splice using G2 epoxy.
The dowel splice they say is best, although I have never done one. This is done by sharpening the stick end like a pencil , then drilling a conical hole to match in the new butt end with a tapered drill like a spoon drill... then glue.
This is all done under the lapping... and if a single or wedge splice, the splice surface should be vertical.
Here you can see the pics in the Regh book:
https://www.reghviolins.com/books_bowrestoration.aspx
No other options that I can think of...
Hope this helps!... Cheers, Mat
whatwasithinking

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mat,

You might want to view this thread.

Bob
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob... Never thought of Josh Henry's Vuillaume option, but it is a good one!... certainly better than cutting the stick and having a graft in the butt!
I guess that is why Josh is the expert!
Cheers, Mat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: