Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beginner seeking advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deborah

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Beginner seeking advice Reply with quote

Hey everyone. My name's Deborah (obviously) and for a while now I've been wanting to learn the violin, which is why I find myself here. I have always loved how beautiful this instrument sounds. I've been playing the guitar for almost 10 years now, self-taught, and even though the violin is also a stringed instrument, I've read enough to understand it's quite different from a guitar in many many ways.

That being said... I haven't purchased a violin yet. I want to be sure I don't get "a dud". For it being my first, it doesn't have to be fancy or pricey, but I do want quality and something that will last.

So, some general questions...

1. There are different sizes of violins that I've read about. Why is this and what's the advantage of one over another?

2. Anyone have any good tips to drop for when I go to purchase a violin? Good brands, poor brands, things to look for, etc...

That should be enough to get the ball rolling. Very Happy Thanks in advance for your time!
Shirley

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Deborah! After playing guitar for 10 years, you undoubtedly have the musical savy to play the violin. You are correct, though, that there is a lot of difference between the two instruments, and several people here play the guitar, so you will get some personal opinions about that!

Regarding the different sizes of violins, a person's personal measurements decree the size of the instrument which they can easily handle, so as not to hurt themselves. Most adults have no problem playing a full size violin, referred to as a "4/4." Smaller sizes are fractions of this.

If you want to check out your own preferable size, one site you can visit is:

http://www.feinviolins.com/infoview.php?ID=115

There are others; Ggoogle "violin sizing."

As for what to look for in a good violin, there is no substitute for a a knowledgeable dealer or luthier in your area. On the web, the provider of this website would give you good direction, as would Quinn, Stringworks, Fein, and of course several others. Eastman and Gliga are among the brands which have good reputations, but there are many other makers, and the violin for you may not be a big "brand." The right violin for you will be determined by how it sounds to you, and how it feels to play it. At a shop, someone would probably play several different instruments for you.

One bit of advice - at least a few lessons are almost a necessity. Being shown the the proper method of holding the violin and bow and bowing properly, as well as good left hand and wrist position, will start you off on the right path, and keep you from forming bad habits that are so hard to break.

A word of warning - or, rather, caution: You say that you love the way the violin sounds - you probably will not like the way the instrument sounds when you start to play it! Do not dispair. In time you will sound better, but it takes unbelievable courage for an adult, especially, to put up with the ego-shattering experience of learning to play a bowed instrument.

Not to discourage you! Gobs of luck, and I'm sure you will learn more from those here who also play guitar. Please let us know what and how you do!

Shirley
Deborah

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thanks Shirley for your response.

I'm only aware of one violin shop in my area. I'll have to go check it out with your advice in mind and see what I can find and maybe someone there knows of other locations I could shop around.

I've been reading more online about violins and that birthed some curiosity about the viola. I listened to a sample and it seems the viola has a lower range than the violin, and personally the sound appealed to me more, but I also read about some physical issues when it came to playing the viola since it is a larger instrument.

Any thoughts?
Shirley

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Deborah, you came to the right person: I play the viola (I'm not saying how well) and I love it. The violin is all well and good, especially if you like having all the tunes and being able to show off what you can do(no offense to any one here!), but playing the middle parts in a musical group has great appeal, and, indeed, the viola has a lovely sound, a fifth lower, and more full than the violin.

It isn't any easier to play, however - some say harder. Yes, it is bigger, but if you are not a tiny person, that is not an issue; violas come in many sizes (unlike full-size violins which have a 14" body), from 15" to 17" (or bigger). Most orchestral players use at least 16" instruments, and I use a 15 1/2, because larger is uncomfortable for me, and I have been advised that bigger might lead to pain. But some little people play big instruments; they learn how to do it somehow.

There are a few things different from playing a violin, and those here who play both can tell you beter than I, but mostly they are related to the difference in size: finger pressure, bowing pressure, and slight difference in holding the instrument.

You might go to this site if you have not already:

http://www.americanviolasociety.org.

I sure would like to hear just what you think, upon further investigation. From the music shop near you, you might be able to rent both instruments and see which you prefer. Many people play both! If the music store near you deals mostly in band instruments and guitars, as many shops do when they are the only music store in an area (more demand for band instruments in schools), then you might have to use the internet. Several reputable online stores will send instruments and bows to your home on approval. I'm not sure about this service for rented instruments.

I do give out with long answers, don't I? But I am excited about your interst in the viola. Do try to check one out. I must say, however, that after playing a viola I can't imagine how anyone can have difficulty with a "too large" violin!

Please have fun with all this - and do write back with how you go from here.

Shirley
Deborah

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha imagine that, you play the viola. That's perfect!

Well seeing as I'm not a small person - (I just measured my arm today to see what the proper size violin would be... 23-24"; and my family always marvels at how long my fingers are, which made the guitar a pretty perfect instrument to pick up Very Happy ) - I don't have much concern that a viola would pose physical problems for me. And from what I've listened to, it does sound richer and more appealing to me.

There are actually several "music" stores in my area, but only one specialty violin shop that I've been able to discover. I think I may have a look at it on Monday and maybe get a better idea of what's suited for me.

I'll definitely be back to post what happens! Thanks so much Shirley. Smile
Shirley

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope to hear from you soon, Deborah! Good luck, and have fun!

Shirley
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: