Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello..another beginner :)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seahawkwalt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Hello..another beginner :) Reply with quote

I started playing the violin about a year ago. I have wanted to learn for the longest time and finally took the plunge. The thought of a stringed instrument was very intimidating to me. I started off teaching myself with the "violin for the absolute beginner" series by Rhoda. My friend taught my how to hold the violin and bow properly. About a 2 months ago, I started taking lessons. She has me practicing out of several books..Schradieck, Suzuki, Wolfhart, and another that escapes me at the moment. If anyone self-teaching is wondering whether or not to get a teacher, I would recommend without hesitation to get one. I have a few questions. Very Happy. I have played nearly everyday this past year. My question is should I upgrade my bow from the one (brazilwood) that came with my violin or simply rehair the one I have? I have an old bow I think over 20 yrs old I ran across at home. It is wooden and has Roth Glasser on it. Would it be worth it to rehair this one too? If you recommend upgrading the bow what would you recommend? My budget would be less than three hundred dollars. I have looked at the codabow aspire and the presto bows . I realize I should test these out but don't live near a shop ( although shar music apparently will let you test bows out at home ..they carry the presto series but not codabow). What are some recommendations for developing better tone? I know it will (hopefully) come in time if I practice with correct form. I don't know sometimes if I use enough rosin. It gathers on my strings and violin after playing but if you look at my rosin the groove (indention) is only about a half-cm deep after one year of use. How long should a bar of rosin last? I know these are stupid questions so forgive me. Smile Lastly, I had the gumption to change my strings and broke my first e string Shocked I'm sure it won't be my last. Anyway, thanks in advance for your replies.
Go Seahawks
Seahawkwalt
Shirley

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Walt - I don't think I can be much help to you, but until a luthier or the administrator gets on here to give the the real skinny, I can perhaps offer my own opinions.

First of all, another grown-up with the courage to try one of these fangled bowed instruments? There are many of us who either started late in life, or returned, after childhood attempts, to try again - dementia, perhaps. But you are not alone.

Regarding your bows, depending on the quality of the bow which came with your violin (was it an "outfit," or was the bow individually selected by the seller?) you could either have it rehaired (about $50) or upgrade. $300 could get you a pretty good carbon fiber bow, possibly better sounding than a comparable wooden bow, but not necessarily. You might be wise to take a dealer up on the offer to send you several bows on trial. You could also find a dealer who carries Coda, to have another choice. (Be aware - even individual carbon bows of the same brand and quality have their own sound, like wooden bows.)

It might be best to think before investing $50 on the Roth Glasser bow - I believe they are rather cheap student bows, though I may be wrong. It is nice to have a "back-up" bow around, though, for use when your main bow is not available, as during re-hairing or accidental injury to it.)

You are sure right, in my opinion too, to have a teacher at least for a while. A teacher can notice all kinds of habits and correct them, as well as give you little hints concerning playing.

You probably don't use too much rosin - if you run your thumb nail across the hair, at the frog, you will see if the rosin sort of billows out. That will show that you do indeed have rosin on the hair, and if it REALLY billows you might have more than you need. Rosin should last for years if it is not dropped and broken.

Re: your E string breaking - sometimes there is a rough spot on the slot at the nut, or, on the fine tuner. One thing - are you using the ball end, or the loop end? The loop ends give me trouble, breaking more easily, incombination with the fine tuner on my A string (my high string - I play a viola). If all is well, you should be able to replace your strings without them breaking.

As for improving tone - I am not the one to ask, apparently, if you were to hear me! However, I have improved considerably in the few years I have been playing, and the main things to be aware of are: Make sure the bow is pulling straight- look in a mirror, since perceptions of our own body in space can be way off; proper intonation is crucial, and it will come. Bow hold also makes a huge difference in tone, as does the proper "pressure" and speed of the bow, and, of course, the use of vibrato. Sometimes a different rosin can help, too. Just bowing the open strings over and over again (boring) gets the tone to improve. A year is not a very long time to play the violin!

Are you aware of this website?

http://www.violinmasterclass.com

It is very helpful and informative.

And I would add, "Go Broncos," but it is a lost cause. I can root for the Seahawkes now! (Are you a transplant from Seattle or thereabouts?)

I think your posting was very interesting, with nifty questions. Good luck!

Shirley
Seahawkwalt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Shirley... No I was born in Ky but live in Tn now. Don't know why I gravitated to the Seahawks...it's been painful being a fan. Appreciate the advice too Surprised . Btw my e string broke when I put new strings on. I tuned it too quickly. The store said to tune the e string an octave below and wait 24 hours before tuning to the proper note. My friend is going to bring his bow today to let me test it out. Time to practice. Go Seahawks..Go Broncos. I actually like Jay Cutler a lot.
Merry Christmas!
Seahawkwalt
Shirley

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again, Seahawkwalt - If your friend brings a better bow, I know you will see a difference. Good luck.

By the way, all sites have their slow times, and if you don't receive the timely answers here that you hope for, you might try

http://maestronet.com/forums/

Maestronet is is a venerable site with friendly and knowledgable contributors also. Good luck - and I'd love to hear what you think of your friend's bow.

Shirley
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: