Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My first bow rehab

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wm_crash

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: My first bow rehab Reply with quote

Here is my first bow rehab. It happened very uneventfully except for the mammoth tip gluing. I decided to use G2 flex epoxy. Then I read the instructions: 12 hours cure time Smile Cursed, went to sleep and came back next day.

Yes there are bad/non-ideal decisions and execution flaws.

cheers,
wm_crash, the friendly hooligan

whatwasithinking

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! The hair ribbon looks flat--that's good. G2 works fine for the tip--just takes a long time to harden. An incandescent lamp a few inches away will speed things up a bit. I usually use CA, so if I mess it up somehow, I can use CA solvent to take it off and try again. OTOH, you have LOTS of time to move things around while G2 is hardening.

Is that an ivory frog? If so, I can understand using mammoth on the tip. Or even elephant, maybe. If you're going to be considered a criminal, why not go all the way...

What is the yellow wrapping? Or is the color I'm seeing different than how it actually appears?

Keep it up!
wm_crash

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think it's an ivory frog. The stick itself is painted to look like snakewood, so I don't think someone would do that and add an ivory frog.

The tip itself was $5, so not a great expense. I was thinking about ivory, but just in case this bow ends up being a present and going across borders, I won't have trouble.

The yellow wrapping is leather, 2oz lambskin. It is a lot softer than what I usually see on bows, but it worked ok. Being softer, it's also more prone to receiving imprints from the wrapping that was used during the glue-up. That's where all the lines come from.

The button was missing a silver(? or other metal) banding. I took the easy way out and I used a strip of leather instead.

cheers,
wm_crash, the friendly hooligan
whatwasithinking

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, really nice for your first project.

I've got a lot of bows to practice on now. I need to get to work on some. Also working on a couple of new sticks--going slowly, probably too slowly.

I'm hearing that taking mastodon ivory through customs is just as risky as elephant. The inspectors usually can't tell the difference. So, the safety of mastodon is probably only in theory. There are some folks working on suitable replacements for ivory, and I'll bet we see more available in the near future.

Maybe you'll try some silk thread next time? I've tried wire, thread (one, two and three colors), and tinsel. Still need to combine tinsel and silk. And I need to try faux whalebone.

I now have several old French bows to restore, needing various repairs. None of them have famous-maker stamps, but some might turn out to be decent. Where weight and balance permit, I'm trying to stay with silk and tinsel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: