Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gluing large surfaces

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Gluing large surfaces Reply with quote

My father-in-law was a cabinet maker for some 70years, and when he was joining two flat surfaces he always made some diagonal cuts across the surface to channel away excess glue when clamping, allowing a tighter joint.

For heating my glue, I use an old pimento jar set on a cheap coffee cup warmer, and keeping this covered ALL the time with a slightly larger, loose-fitting lid (keeps it simple and easy, just drop it on.) It keeps it hot but not scalding, not so hot I can't take the jar to another workbench for a few moments with bare hands. I just keep adding a little water or glue to get the consistency I like. So far, no algae. I keep such a small batch going, it only takes about 3-5 minutes to heat it up for use so it never just sits and cooks off. I doubt there's more than an ounce or two in the jar at any time, and have had no waste to discard.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Andres Sender

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cuts tend to leave slightly raised lips, so unless the surface was flattened again afterward those cuts actually created a space in the joint, ensuring that it was not starved of glue due to too much clamping pressure.
Jack H.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

might be ok for cabinets, but I really do not think it would be better than not scoring.
There is NO place on a violin that I would score it up after making it flat and smooth, ensuring a perfect glue joint. NOt a one!!!!!!!!!

J
Andres Sender

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, well the great Cremonese were not so against the idea.
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Gluing large surfaces Reply with quote

I can't recall now what prompted my original remarks. I think I was reading the forum topic on preparation of glue and had meant the comment to go behind someone else's observation regarding gluing large surfaces. That said, I did, recently on a violin, carve a furrow at the end of the neck where it attaches the block so excess glue would run out (upwards away from the button). Non-traditional, and probably not an acceptable practice, but I think I got a tighter fit.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: