Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gluing repairs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian Deveney

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Gluing repairs Reply with quote

What's the best Glue to use when gluing Pernambuco, I'm just about to do my first repair on a bow, Confused
Nick Walker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends. I use CA glue. That way any repair is reversible. You could use white glue or wood glue.
whatwasithinking

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick's right about CA being reversible. Some makers don't use anything else for that very reason. If you want to use an epoxy, G2 is held in high regard for Pernambuco, because it adheres well to oily woods. Pernambuco is definitely an oily wood.

I've heard of a very few failures using G2, so I wrote to System Three Resins and asked how this could have happened. They said that this is usually because of too much compression during clamping, which can force the glue out of the joint, starving it of epoxy.

The repairs I've performed using G2 have held. It seems that the primary difference between G2 and other epoxies is related to the hardener, which is a polyamide. I'm kind of in over my head here, but a lot of the not-so-friendly-to-oily-wood epoxies use a polyamine hardener.

I've also heard of folks using hide glue on Pernambuco, but haven't done so myself. Can't comment on other adhesives. These are the ones I've heard about. Have had success with CA and G2. I know that some have used optical epoxies as fillers, but I don't know how well they work for structural repairs.
whatwasithinking

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian,

Out of curiosity, what kind of repair are you undertaking?

BTW, here's the CA glue I use: http://www.caglue.com/HS-4-bHot-Stuff-2ozb-thin-CA-glue_p_11.html

If you hold the cracked or severed pieces together, and apply it at the seam, it will usually wick into the joint.

I also keep a bottle of their superglue solvent on hand if I need to undo anything. And it's great for removing plugs and hair knots from cheap bows!

Bob
Ian Deveney

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatwasithinking and Nick Walker thanks for the heads up.
it's a cracked bow I'm wanting to repair I have a number of bows in different conditions I'm hoping to get them all up and playing at some point. I will post a couple of photos. is the CA glue the same as our supper glue? I was told that you would have to use a special glue for bows as the wood doesn't take some glues.
whatwasithinking

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CA=cyanoacrylate=super glue=crazy glue. CA sticks to Pernambuco, as does G2 epoxy. Many other kinds of glue do not stick as well, or at all. CA was invented in 1942, but because it stuck to everything, it was rejected as a candidate for a military contract. Most people use some kind of industrial grade version, vs the supermarket varieties, but I don't really know that there's much difference. But the stuff I mentioned is fairly low in viscosity, helping it to wick between pieces that are pressed together.

Depending on the nature of the crack or break, you might want to do something more than just glue it together.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: