Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Testing the same pitch strings at the same time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scotiwis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject: Testing the same pitch strings at the same time Reply with quote

Hi,
I want to compare various strings at the same time on my violin. Is there any problem with putting 4 different E strings on the violin at the same time (one in the E slot, one in G slot, one in D slot, one in A slot) and tuning them all to E, testing and comparing them.
Then doing the same for the G, D, A strings I have.
Thanks!
LSOviolinist

Location: Los Angeles, California/Boston, Massachusetts/New York, New York

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello scotiwis,

There is a problem with doing this. The bridge on your instrument, as well as the nut at the top of the fingerboard, are made and cut specifically for each string. Putting a G string on the E string side can be very bad for the bridge as it will expand the cut and thus make the E string dig in more reducing the life of your bridge. Also, because three of the strings will be in the wrong position they will not vibrate and "sing" properly. You wouldn't get the true sound and response of the those other strings. The best way to compare is by recording. If you have a phone or any device with recording capabilities, record each string with similar stroke, piece, or scale and then review it.

Best of luck!
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, LSOviolinist has it right.

I would also find someone with a good ear. There are limitations with recording.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: