Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

newbie story here

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
violinguy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: newbie story here Reply with quote

I have played guitar, drums, and bass guitar for many years and have long wanted to try violin. My story starts here.........I am a school teacher who teaches elementary school age children. Well, I've always voluteered to work the violin concerts several times each year. I was friends with the violin instructor and always envied his talent. Well the years passed and finally I'm about to embark on a trip of learning the violin. One big hurdle I'll have will be that I'm a lefty and have always played my guitar and bass left handed but for the violin I will be learning righty. I hope this won't be too difficult Shocked Well, wish me luck and hopefully with your support and insight, I'll make it! I'm not a young pup! Thanks

vg
Shirley

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Vguy! You should have a great (and sometimes frustrating) time ahead of you, but you sound well-prepared. Don't let the ego-bruising adventure of learning to play the violin get to you! (As an adult, this is almost inevitable.)

You are wise to decide to learn to play the violin "righty." There is no reason this should be harder than learning left handed, and there are many things in its favor - playing with a stand partner, for one! Also, playing left-handed requires more of your instrument than just restringing it - the bridge, soundpost, and bass bar would need to be repositioned.

But you do play the frets of the guitar with your right hand? This could be a drawback learning to finger the notes with the left hand. Hmmmm. I sure wish a guitar player would get on here and answer your concerns.

So, mainly I am saying, good luck, and go for it!

Shirley
violinguy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Shirley. I have played guitar righty often so it shouldn't be too difficult. I enjoy practicing and this I know will help me adjust. Thanks again.

vg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: