Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Too slow right now so...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick Walker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:45 am    Post subject: Too slow right now so... Reply with quote

Whose making a bow right now?

I'm doing my first cello after decent results on a violin and two bass bow.[img]http://rs1294.pbsrc.com/albums/b619/nvwbow/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150319_084536_zpspajd66zt.jpg~320x480[/img]

[img]http://rs1294.pbsrc.com/albums/b619/nvwbow/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150319_084526_zpsvh2mkyxo.jpg~320x480[/img]

[img]http://rs1294.pbsrc.com/albums/b619/nvwbow/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150318_125616_zpsgjvlatjg.jpg~320x480[/img]

[img]http://rs1294.pbsrc.com/albums/b619/nvwbow/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150318_125527_zpsbpzqlujb.jpg~320x480[/img]

[img]http://rs1294.pbsrc.com/albums/b619/nvwbow/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150318_125502_zps4dppejhc.jpg~320x480[/img]

[img]http://rs1294.pbsrc.com/albums/b619/nvwbow/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150303_104904_zpsexrc7mii.jpg~320x480[/img]

[img]http://rs1294.pbsrc.com/albums/b619/nvwbow/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150303_085034_zpsmh7f8gvp.jpg~320x480[/img]
Nick Walker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that didn't work.
http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/nvwbow/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150303_104904_zpsexrc7mii.jpg.html?filters[user]=140916742&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0
Ed Shillitoe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good progress Nick! Do you stamp your name on your bows?

I'm trying to get four bass bows done to take to the Bass Convention in Colorado in June. Will you be there?

Ed
wm_crash

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I broke another bubinga piece while cambering. Nothing new there. I think this time I was trying to bend more than the part that had been in the heat. Just squared up four more blanks I had cut about a year ago.

If I get nothing out of these four, I might consider moving to another species to learn cambering on. Probably chakte viga, but I am taking suggestions if there is something out there very appropriate to learn on.

cheers,
Cosmin
whatwasithinking

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ask around, and keep your ears open, you might find some low-quality pernambuco to practice on. There are some decent alternatives to pernambuco, like wamara, and of course some are having success with bloodwood and ipe, especially for viola and cello sticks, and maybe bass.

I've noticed that ipe can be very stubborn when cambering, compared with pernambuco. I can only guess that it doesn't conduct heat very well. I've managed to break both bloodwood and ipe sticks when cambering. Especially with ipe, I try to heat the wood clear through to a moderate temperature, before taking it up to where it becomes plastic. I can't remember where I learned that, but it seems to help in preventing charring.

I'm using a heat gun for cambering, which seems to be gaining adherents, based on my very limited exposure to experienced makers. But at least a couple of those folks are fairly widely known, so I feel like I'm in good company!

Bob
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, when you use the heat gun, how do you control the heat? Do you use a jig with some sort of temperature measurement? Then, do you bend freehand or jig?
Curious!... Mat
Ps... I too use a heat gun and get reasonable control with a crude jig and a rod thermometer. Mind you, I only do repairs and adjustments to existing bows... and nearly all are violin bows.
whatwasithinking

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mat,

I just turn it on the low setting, which is around 650F, I think. I tried using one of those digital thermometers once to check the air temperature at the nozzle, and also at the surface of the wood, but I can't remember what I noticed. I think the nozzle temp was close to 650. Some say this is a good number for cambering, but of course the wood itself is much cooler--maybe a bit under 200F?

The wood is usually too hot to keep your fingers on it very long, when it's ready. I know I've seen a number somewhere about the charring temperature of pernambuco, but I don't know what it is offhand. Seems like the oven used by Kun and Regh was set to above 500F, but the sticks weren't left inside too long.

When I'm first heating up the portion of the stick I intend to bend, I keep the gun maybe 3 or 4 inches away from the wood, and keep it moving rapidly. Then as I get almost ready to try a bend, I bring it closer, say within 2 inches, and keep it moving rapidly. It's still possible to burn the wood, but it seems like it's a bit less likely than with an alcohol flame. The guns with the dial-in temperature seem nice, but then it's also one more thing to break.

And if I knock over a heat gun, it probably won't start a fire. I'd hate to think about knocking over a full alcohol lamp, when it's burning. And I'm just enough of a klutz to manage that!

As always, I don't claim that I do anything the right way. It's just how I'm currently doing it.

Bob
Nick Walker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crash,

You may want to try Katalox. It is a Swartzia species similar to Wamara. I know a bow maker that love Samara, but it's hard to come by domestically while Katalox is available.

I haven't had much luck with it, but Massaranduba is used historically. I have some that is very heavy, but it is too flexible. Weird.

Ed,

I'm not stamping yet. The brands I've resesrched are very expensive and other tools are priority. I'm experimenting with an engraving pen and ink. It's kind of cool because I can actually sign the piece.
Nick Walker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed,

I'm probably not making any workshops this year. All of my money is going to told and wood. Next year I'm going to get around. Still would love to make it up to your shop.

I've got a bunch of blood wood that I'm going to revisit. I know you've had success with it and when it failed for me it may have been due to poor technique, not poor wood.

I'm going to send you a message because I've thinking about baroque bows.
whatwasithinking

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I made it seem like I was moving the gun around, but I clamp it to my planing bench, and keep the stick moving, as with a lamp.
Nick Walker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crash et al,

I've got a pernambuco blank that is too short and has lower specific gravity than is preferred. If you'd like it to work into a fractional size bow, I'd be happy to send it. It might give you a good feel for cambering.

First come, first serve.

Nick
wm_crash

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick,

I'll give it a shot if not spoken for.

cheers,
Cosmin
Nick Walker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send me via PM with your address and I'll send it when I'm in town.
ctviolin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Too slow right now so... Reply with quote

Nick Walker wrote:
Whose making a bow right now?

I happen to be learning how, just now.
Are you a bow maker?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: