Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1692 Falmouth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seammc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: 1692 Falmouth Reply with quote

Does any one have any info on this willow the wisp violin ...was it a Strad 'one off'?
all that I have found is -Conversation-with-Violinist-Leonidas-Kavako

Jim
jzbosco

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STRADS
seammc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject: On loan to Leonidas Kavakos Reply with quote

thanks .....I believe that this is not up to date
While he had it ...much beautiful music happened
jzbosco

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've searched everywhere for it and have found nothing, not even something with that sort of nickname, except one vocalist. I also checked violas and cellos - nothing.

Perhaps it was something someone said as a metaphor referencing the lack of understanding of how he specifically created his violins. I'll keep looking from time to time out of curiosity, if I ever find anything, I'll let you know.
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Falmouth Reply with quote

Is this the violin you're referring to? Second link (dated 2013( indicates new owner is a Swede and on loan to concertmaster at Dallas Symphony. Length is 356, so I guess its a big "slip" of a thing.

http://tarisio.com/cozio-archive/property/?ID=42274

https://www.mydso.com/blog/2013/4/29/that-special-something.aspx

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
seammc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: I am aware of this Reply with quote

I have looked at this in the recent past And thanks

the pictures carry a lot of info but we don't get to see the mold ...to bad! Smile
seammc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: speculation and nothing more Reply with quote

The mold designated as #3 is a possibility in the Strad mold articles...the year is right and shows little use....who knows ???&?

The third Carteggio description is:

No 3: forma di cui si vede averne fatto pochissimo uso poco più lunga della sud[etta] PG ma più ristretta nelle parti superiori ed inferiori colla incisione dicente: 1692 A di 3. GIVGNO. B

No.3: mould which can be seen to have had very little use. Slightly longer than the aforementioned PG but narrower in the upper and lower parts [bouts] with an incised [date] reading: 1692 A[nno] di 3 JUNE. B
seammc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Falmouth Reply with quote

Dave Chandler wrote:
Is this the violin you're referring to? Second link (dated 2013( indicates new owner is a Swede and on loan to concertmaster at Dallas Symphony. Length is 356, so I guess its a big "slip" of a thing.

http://tarisio.com/cozio-archive/property/?ID=42274

https://www.mydso.com/blog/2013/4/29/that-special-something.aspx

thanks Dave ...your post lead me to the below

I believe that I was right the Falmouth is a one off.... look for Lord Falmouth and #3 mold ( It didn't show much signs of use) Not an absolute but highly likely

https://books.google.com/books?id=buG2AAAAIAAJ&pg=PA727&lpg=PA727&dq=strad+violin+No.3:+mould&source=bl&ots=SKNK0oWIj4&sig=EZVUeCCsUobJXvtPDD5MYy3m6XY&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CCwQ6AEwAWoVChMIoPPy-dOfxwIVxDc-Ch0RXACO#v=onepage&q=strad%20violin%20No.3%3A%20mould&f=false
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: