Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Compleate bow rehairing. Think so?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ct... I'm with you!.. I have lots of unorthodox ideas... lets talk.

Let me throw this one out.... Assuming rehair tip to frog, but applies to reverse as well...
I recarved a frog mortise so that the under angle is at the front of the frog... Ie the hair goes into the mortice, lays on the bottom, and the upward pull under hair tension is stopped by the plug jamming onto the front wall of the mortice. IE.. the hair does not go over the top of the plug.
In this case, the hair bends 90 deg down into the mortice and then another but reverse 90 deg bend to lay flat on the floor of the mortice. In this case the two bends are opposite and cancel each other, leaving the hair nice and even... It was an easy and perfect rehair.
Any one else seen this done?... If they see my bow they'll think I was in the shine!... but a shining idea none the less!
Cheers... Mat
ctviolin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mat,
I think I know what you're talking about here, and I say any rehair that results in an even spread of hair in the finished rehair, well, what can be said about the specific technique used to accomplish the end result? if it works? Not much of anything - that's what.

I rehair a particular way, since I was taught that way by a professional rehairer some twenty years ago. Then I went back to him a year later, and re-took the course, using the same technique... and solidified this particular technique that I still use today - so I will be (if I ever get started that is!) what I show here.
Now I am mentally and physically into bow and frog making. The man that is teaching me the ropes, rehairs opposite from the way I do it, and he goes from the frog to the tip... but - we both agree that technique is irrelevant IF you follow certain guidelines, when starting and when ending the rehair, so that the end result is like, exactly what you are talking about here. An even ribbon of hair, that tightens well, and loosens up equaly well.

Right?
What can the player tell or determine, about the rehair, except for the quality of hair used for the rehair, then?
Not much, as a good rehair is a good rehair.
ctviolin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mat Roop wrote:
Hi Ct... I'm with you!.. I have lots of unorthodox ideas... lets talk.

Cheers... Mat

I'm all for it; ctviolin(no space here)@gmail.com

Or, let's just start a conversation here, where everybody else can join in...

Craig T
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ct... yes lets do it right here... hence my previous post on reversing the frog mortice.
BTW, I am hoping to hear from others... about that concept of reversing the frog mortice... has it ever been tried professionally? by whom and what era?
Surely I am not the only one who has thought of it.
Cheers... Mat
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CT... what is your most outrageous unorthodox rehair idea?
Cheers... Mat
ctviolin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mat Roop wrote:
CT... what is your most outrageous unorthodox rehair idea?
Cheers... Mat

Well, I've been told that my use of 'flaming', at the end of the rehair, is fairly unusual. To me it isn't, as I have always done it, and was taught to use this method...

To many people that watch me doing this, the claim is that I must be burning the hair ribbon. Which of course isn't happening. There is also the claim that the hair will always return to is 'former length'... which, of course, doesn't happen either.
'Flaming' cannot and does not make a crappy rehair, 'correct' by any means, though.
Uneven rehairing, still remains uneven, as it always will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CLnvVKn_VQ
ctviolin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The very first thing I do when rehairing a bow, is to take an amount of hair from my bundle hanging on the wall - enough to rehair the bow.
And the tip rcieves the hair first, in my method - so I remove enough hair to do the rehair correctly, simply by looking at the bow and both of its empty mortises.
Both the frog and the tip.
There is no strict or absolute amount of hair for the bow (any bow) in question so, perhaps looking at the old knots in the bow that were there and are now removed - can give you some idea of how much hair to use.

Twisting the (new) amount of hair taken into a tight bundle can give a more precise idea of how much hair (bulk) is there - or perhaps, using a hair gauge which is simply a thin groove or slot in a piece of cardboard or wood, could also be used - but most rehairers simply take as much hair as is required, from their hair bundle...

Also, buying a hank for a rehair, often has a bit more hair than is actually needed, in order to cover every rehair need possible.
But... too much hair can lead to some very difficult problems - so, I would say less is probably more in most cases.

Ok, I'm going to start to post photos of exactly what I'm talking about here so bear with me this may also take a while...
Franciscus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctviolin wrote:

Well, I've been told that my use of 'flaming', at the end of the rehair, is fairly unusual. To me it isn't, as I have always done it, and was taught to use this method...

To many people that watch me doing this, the claim is that I must be burning the hair ribbon. Which of course isn't happening. There is also the claim that the hair will always return to is 'former length'... which, of course, doesn't happen either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CLnvVKn_VQ

Since I've seen this video, I regularly use "flaming" as the final stage of rehairing. Craig, thanks a lot for that lesson. I tried the 'flaming' before, but without notable success, but when I learnt the 'fingering' from mentioned video, I got the point. And, if one pull the ribbon THROUGH the flame rather fast, as Craig does in the video, it never burns, which is not the case if one move the ribbon OVER the flame, where is temperature much higher. My two coins.
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice video CT!... I thought that flaming was a standard procedure in rehairing. But if it is unusual as you say, what other method is there?

Personally I do not flame any more. Primarily because I believe that flaming gets at some of the hairs that don't need flaming. What I do is rehair dry, stretch the hair and then shrink the few remaining stragglers by letting the Droopy ones touch an overturned clothes iron set on high. Its amazing to watch the droopy hair literally snap into place as soon as it touches the hot iron. That way, only the hairs needing shortening get touched by the heat.

As for stretching, I know that some say you can't stretch hair... but that is only true if you buy cheap crappy hair. I buy the best I can find... the last batch cost me $572 CAD for a 500 gram (17 oz) bundle... but it is worth it. This hair will stretch 20 to 30% in length in the tests that I have tried. The real issue with stretching is that you need to make a special (but simple) stretching clamp to ensure you don't break the tip of the bow. And no... the hair will not shrink back to original... a bit maybe but mostly not.

In one case a client brought in a bow that was rehaired too tight ( not mine) so I stretched it, and although a few hairs broke, it worked quite well. Saved the poor man the cost of a rehair... now a customer for life!

... Cheers, Mat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: