Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Greetings and respect

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Introduction, Rules and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elwood

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject: Greetings and respect Reply with quote

Hello newbie here.

I am 53 and have no experience with violins. I had a chance to meet a master luthier shortly before his death and marveled at his work. I love to build things both from scratch and out of broken items. I have done finish carpentry, built custom pool cues, repaired fine furniture, and done a fair amount of wood carving. I see violin building as a unique blend of skills and work that I love and it is so detail oriented that I find myself just drawn to it.

Out of respect for his work, and for a personal challenge, I have decided to build a violin. And the biggest challenge I am finding it getting good information. I have found pretty good dimensions for a particular Strat but getting good images or an outline is proving difficult. All the workmanship in the world will do me no good if I am not being true to the original design. What kind of resources do you find most helpful? It’s not like you can go somewhere and examine a multimillion dollar instrument. I look forward to your comments.

Elwood
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elwood, good luck, hope to see you posting your questions and observations in the regular part of the forum. Once you've been here a while, you don't look for new postings in this part of the forum.

All the best!

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Introduction, Rules and Suggestions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: