Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Andrea Amati 1672?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SJLPHI

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Andrea Amati 1672? Reply with quote

A few things happened in the past few weeks, after fonding over better violins for years, I ended up trading in the old(1997 Korean made) one and adding $800 to pick one up from local luithier which has the label "Andrea Amati Ceremonae 1672".

The Luither told me that it was actually a replica of genuine Andrea Amati. I am still uncertain if the violin is actually from the late 1600 or not, but my research tells me that even if it were, the violin is NOT made by Andrea Amati, considering that he died over a hundred year earlier. If anything, made by his apprentices' apprentice.

The upper plate of the violin is actually warped near the f holes such that the f hole near sound post is raised higher than the other. I think actually this is what give the violin what I call "Characteristic A". The violin is also slightly bigger than standard 4/4 size, barely fitting in my case. It is a loud one.

Before I picked up the violin, the luthier allowed me to play with a few that he will accept the trade-in + money that I am offering. He also mentioned that the violins that he's offering are actually worth over $1000. We also agreed that I will not sell the violin elsewhere, only to bring it back once I can afford a better one and he'll take in the "Andrea Amati 1672" as credit.

The violin seems to be in a very good condition, almost too good to be from 17th century, but the pegs don't seem to be very nice fit/smooth as my older(1997 Korean made) violin. I am somewhat afraid of damaging it, so I decided to not to force the pegs and use the fine tuners.

I have made changes in its accessories:
1.Strings swapped out to Tomastik Infeld Red(I got addicted to them)
2.Chinrest "downgraded to Mulko chinrest" (I find that although cheap and composite, they are the best fitting and most comfortable chinrest I've used)

I have been playing this thing for the past week, almost non-stop (I am seduced by its voice) and I am now starting to be curious how to trace the origin/history of this violin?
SJLPHI

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have uploaded some pictures on photobucket

http://s1148.photobucket.com/user/homeunt/slideshow/
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking violin. The F holes are Amati style, and Nicolo Amati was certainly making violins in that period. However, its likely a copy. Otherwise it would cost you a five hundred times more.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: